Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sound insulation for lower level woodshop

Posted by chicago_bob (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 2:16

We are building a new 4 season sun room, 9' above grade, with a 12 x 25 woodshop underneath. The shop has a concrete floor, brick wall on one side, and combo cinder block and frame construction on the "outside" walls.

Looking for suggestions for the best insulation to put in the shop ceiling, so my power tools don't cause levitation of anyone sitting in the sun room above! Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sound insulation for lower level woodshop

Just dont use the sunroom at the same time you are working on projects. Sound isolation has to be planned for all 6 sides of a room to be effective. Now, if you want to line the walls with lead sheets, you might could expect some results worth spending money on. Even expensive anachoic foam on the ceiling isn't going to do much of anything with the rest of tbe hard echo chamber left unaddressed.

o

The major part of the sound transmission will be in the wood flooring---joists and subfloor.

My shop is in our fully enclosed basement. My 2hp dust collector is in an outside corner, under a bedroom. My 6" jointer is next to the DC and a router table next to that.

A former owner had a suspended ceiling installed---the normal metal grid with pressed paper inserts. That cuts down on a great deal of the noise.

I frequently use the shop when the wife is napping or watching TV in the living room.

o

A well-constructed ceiling done with proper sound insulation techniques will go a long way towards cutting down the workshop noise.

1 - There is the noise ricocheting around the workshop ... that's dealt with by sound absorbing panels in the room.

2 - There is the noise that penetrates the floor and annoys people upstairs.

A: NO VENTS IN COMMON!

B: Look up the sound-proofing and acoustic isolation construction techniques for sound booths and the like. The techniques aren't difficult or expensive BUT you have to design with them in mind.

o

This problem is normally solved by attaching a drywall ceiling to a resilient suspension system. Acoustic insulation will help a little but really only deals with sound that travels horizontally from crack to crack.

The minimum system would be resilient channels attached to the floor joists. The best would be channels hung on wires with resilient connectors. The available space is a critical issue

o

I wouldn't do anything until I knew there was a problem. I wouldn't want to Sheetrock or cover that ceiling with anything but racks for handing off-cuts, templates, and other hardware. It is best to have access to that space in a shop. Yours is a nice sized shop. You won't believe how much you will put up there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here