Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I remove these "walls"?

Posted by dad4diy (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 1:43

My cabinetmaker said I should have no problem removing the housing around the old fridge. During demo this weekend, I paused because the walls built around the old fridge look quite substantial. There are joists running perpendicular throughout the whole kitchen. The joists right above this fridge housing do go all the way to walls on each side but they pass over the fridge. What do you think? Do I need to call in a second opinion?

photo IMG_1591.jpg
 photo IMG_1607.jpg
 photo IMG_1605.jpg
 photo IMG_1606.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I remove these "walls"?

If the joists rest on the outer wall, and the wall to the left of the fridge, then those stud enclosures around the fridge are merely decorative. Well, decorative in the structural sense anyway. Since you're demoing them, I'm pretty sure you don't consider them all that decorative in an aesthetic sense!

Don't forget to air seal and insulate properly before closing up the ceiling there. It will be a BIG improvement in the space!

o

The substantial looking double top plates are there to allow nailing for the drywall.

o

Thanks guys,
Holly, there is a second floor above the kitchen. Do people still insulate?

Renovator8, the drywalling point you made makes perfect sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here