Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to replace door handles in a door with odd mortise locks

Posted by BreadPuddn (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 1:18

We just moved into a 1915 home that had a major remodel in the late 70s. One thing they did was put in three of these wood doors to the outside with lavender glass knobs both inside and outside. I would like to replace the knobs with lever handles, but am having a hard time figuring out the lock mechanism since this one was never fully exposed.

As you can see in the photo, there's a mortise lock, however, the lock mechanism within, directly below the knob, was never exposed/used on either side of the door. Instead, someone put in a separate bolt below the handle (really don't like it below).

So, to replace the knobs (and the spindles are worn, I think), how would I do this? Would I get a whole new mortise lock system with handles, put that in - and also *not* use the lock part? I'm okay with just the separate deadbolt. Or, would I get a passage set (which uses up less space within the door) and patch/fill the area within the door that will be freed up below it?

Also, most exterior/weather-proof knobs are larger than this when it comes to door thickness and scale. Should I just use an 'interior' door knob/lever outside as the prior people did?'

BTW, for what it's worth, the painted side is the exterior, the stained is the interior.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to replace door handles in a door with odd mortise locks

There should be a set screw on the side of the door knob - losen that - and the knob should come off.

Since it doesn't look like the door was patched - I'm guessing they used the old lock - and perhaps it used a skelton key? You're also lacking the correct plate for a mortise latch with a lock.

o

Thanks. Yes, there's no plate there that should be preset with this kind of lock (it's like they just borrowed a lock from another door since there's no lock or key hole on this one). But, should I replace the whole mortise mechanism when I change out the handle (it feels a bit wimpy when in use), or just change the knob out only? I had assumed I should change out everything, but keeping the current lock mechanism would be great/easier.

(Perhaps I just answered my question. Ah well).

Thank you!

o

You could cut a 'plug' the same size as the mortise lock - actually make it a little narrower - and glue it in with epoxy or Gorilla glue.

The next day when it's dry you can bore a hole for a new lock set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here