Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egads! Not completely satisfied with kitchen floorplan.

Posted by emma823 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 0:40

Hi,

I am at wits end as we have gone back and forth with architect and city planning 2 times already (additional $3k in wasted architect fees). Here's the current ground floor plans and we can't seem to figure out a way to have the kitchen and family room be one large open space without sacrificing the functionality of the family room. I've been an avid long time reader of those much more experienced than I in GW and hope someone can help. Our current plans have the kitchen and dining room sharing the open space which is acceptable since we plan to have good amount of family/friends over for meals. However, we prefer to open up the kitchen to the family room instead, and lead out to the backyard. The issue that we can't get around is that the family room is somewhat narrow (22'x13') and if we open up the wall between kitchen, then it would be difficult to have the family enjoy watching TV in that room with seating. Any ideas? Here is a link to the floorplan for first floor.

http://picasaweb.google.com/106506743807018684470/Desktop#5492862285364379634

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egads! Not completely satisfied with kitchen floorplan.

Are you looking for more seating than in your plan now. If not, it would easily work and be fairly similar to what we have. You will need to turn around the kitchen and put in a door to the dining room. Here's what we ended up with (You would have a larger family room)

View from Family Room

View from Kitchen to Family Room

o

Salmon- Beautiful kitchen! I'm thinking of doing something similar, by opening up the kitchen to the living room. How do you like having the island all one level? I've thought about raising the seating side, to hide some clutter, but I really like the way yours looks :)

o

You'll get a lot more responses if you post this in the Kitchens forum.

o

Hi weedy! Did you see the new front door we got? Have to work on the walls this weekend and get the trim on but it came our great.

Lavendar, we had a split level island prior and much prefer the single level. You can spread out. We have a deep single tub sink that "hides" when we need it to

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here