Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitabloom

Antique Sink

anitabloom
12 years ago

I have a gorgeous antique marble top with a gilt patterned sink. It has wonderful brass and cut glass faucets. I was told it was removed from a 1920's brownstone in NYC.

I'm trying to figure out what would look best to support the top. It has a piece of marble for the backsplash, but no apron pieces. I'm toying between sink legs. If antique, they would need a drawer between the tops of the links and the marble top, to add enough length, since they are usually 25-27" high. A new set of console legs (metal) would be the correct height. Then of course I could convert a small piece of furniture. I'm trying to avoid that option, as this is a small powder room and I'd like to keep things as open as possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

• Fori
    12 years ago

Photos please! Sounds very nice.

If you haven't, try posting also on the bathrooms and (especially) home decorating forums.

• anitabloom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here you go!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Fori
    12 years ago

Umm. Can I have that?

I would think you'd want to put a plywood base under it to support it completely, just in case someone sits on it. Nice turned wooden legs, small apron trim to hide the plywood?

Do you NEED a drawer?

Matching metal legs to the faucet will be tricky, but you could go totally vintage with a skirt to hide the legs and plumbing. It's a little too elegant for that though.

Can you tell how it was mounted originally?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

It might have had a decorative steel open steel base (meant to look like wrought iron).

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

You may want to try an old washstand, the kind that were used with a bowl and pitcher and remove the top and replace it with your beautiful sink. I found a couple of nice washstands on Craigslist, refinished them and mounted vessel sinks on them. I did have to modify the top drawers to clear the plumbing though.