Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelyfree_gw

stucco and airgap question

joelyfree
9 years ago

I am remodeling my house down to the studs. Put In cellulose insulation and OSB. Going with stucco on bottom half. I read that is a dangerous combo without an airgap. So I forked out the bucks and bought Homeslicker stone and stuccoto to create a 1/4 inch air and water gap. We have installed standard tyvek and have the home slicker stone and stucco over it. So my big question is do we need another layer of felt between the homeslicker and stucco or is just the layer of stucco blocking fabric good enough that comes attached on the homeslicker product ?

To be more explicit. Code requires two layers of felt due to the fact that stucco bonds to the first layer leaving the second an intact weather barrier. Is this kind of protection needed with homeslicker stone and stucco product? Would adding a layer of felt on the outside of the homeslicker air gap create some kind of unintended consequences.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions and pay particular attention to flashing details.

• joelyfree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is the tricky part. The homeslicker installations show you using just one wrb inside of the homeslicker as we have done but then they note that local codes might require two. Also concerned because we used normal tyvek and not stucco tyvek. Read that the stucco chemicals can destroy wrb but maybe that is old info. But the stucco doesn't sit on the tyvek but chemicals could leach out and drain onto it.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

"Homeslicker stone and stuccoto to create a 1/4 inch air and water gap. We have installed standard tyvek and have the home slicker stone and stucco over it. So my big question is do we need another layer of felt between the homeslicker and stucco or is just the layer of stucco blocking fabric good enough that comes attached on the homeslicker product ? "

kind of late in the day to be asking isn't it?
    stucco will adhere to top layer, in my area we use
    stucco wrap over stucco wrap..or felt with stucco wrap
    over it.

why not contact mfg of stucco fabric directly?
    get specific answers to your specific locale.

best of luck,

• joelyfree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not too late because I can still install felt over the homeslicker fabric. It will be soon though. I am sure if I ask the mgfr they will just refer to installation manual which says do it the way I have but local building codes will vary and may require 2 layers.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

stucco adheres to homeslicker (stucco wrap)
    it is the layer behind it that is the bond break.

in older times they used two layers of felt paper
    and it worked well.

newer products use things like stucco wrap that
    aren't flat as the layer for stucco to adhere to.
    behind that...next to sheathing is second layer
    that provides drainage plane.

I have good experiences speaking to mfg reps,
    it may take a call or two to get someone familiar
    with your climate...but well worth the time.

codes are minimum allowed by law..not the
    level to which to aspire to...LOL!
    its all about better building practices.

you could go to www.buildingscience.com
    & read info for your climate. this is the site/info
    that is the best IMO.

best of luck