Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugly old concrete front steps - remodelling

Posted by chester_grant (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 23:45

The steps to my house are ugly and the footing for the iron railing is broken - which means the iron railing is also a safety hazard with no secure base.
The question is how can I rejuvenate concrete steps?
I guess I could have them resurfaced with new concrete?
Or resurfaced with some sort of paving stones......there are 5 steps by the way which means one has to go up 3 feet or so. A problem woould be the overhang at the edges of all the steps - maybe the answer is to resurface the horizontal sections first, eliminating the overhang. Then the new horizontal surface would include a new overhang - I hope thats clear!
I also wish to eliminate the iron railings and replace them with painted white wood railings (of the type typical on verandahs) as white wood is more in keeping with the white vertical post already there.

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugly old concrete front steps - remodelling

I just replaced an old wood deck with a colored stamped-concrete patio; they also applied a thin coat to the existing concrete steps and stamped and colored it, too, so it matches. I'm not a concrete-repair expert, but I would think that, if the steps are in decent condition but just don't look good, you could have this done. It isn't cheap because it's labor-intensive. But it adds a nice look, IMHO. (Sorry -- no pictures yet. They're not completely done with it yet.)

o

One option would be to set exterior grade porcelain tile on the horizontal planes-- steps and landing-- and apply a complimentary color concrete stain to the verticals. By applying a base color of stain and then ragging on a slightly lighter or darker second color, you can give the risers visual interest and depth of color.

As regards the railing-- If the bolts are rusted or the posts are set into the concrete, cut off the wrought iron with a reciprocating saw and grind what remains til it's flush with the concrete. Drill the concrete with a masonry bit to set anchors with either mortar or epoxy for the new wood railings. Hope this helps.

o

I had a stone mason apply blue stone on top of concrete steps at my husbands office. It wasn't that expensive and it looks great! The concrete was in good shape, it just looks a lot better now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here