Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

Help - GC adding footings destroyed my garden

dreamojean
10 years ago

Help - the general contractor I hired to put cement footings down for a steel deck, listened carefully as I asked him to preserve as much of the garden as possible - and then his workers basically destroyed it. I'm so upset and am almost tempted to fire him, the garden was my pride and joy and it didn't occur to me that I had to lose all my plants to put down footers for a 8x10 2nd floor deck covering half the width of the property. I found dirt covering mint and a rose plant on the opposite side of the property (which I'd said shouldn't be disturbed, it's a small patch), and after carefully preserving greenery 2 days ago while the GC was present, the workers completely buried it yesterday when the GC wasn't present. I have called and emailed the GC but is this just par for the course? I don't want to overreact, but the GC didn't seem to think preserving greenery would be a problem. When the greenery is covered with 3' of dirt - it's obviously a problem.

I'd love to hear from others who have dealt with this. Any gardeners out there who managed to keep the garden and end up with a raised deck, stairs and a terrace? Or did you have to grow the garden back once the construction was done? (the garden was entirely perennials, have been there for 10 years, I've been at the house for 6 years, I inherited the garden and it's only gotten prettier - until now).
This is in NYC in a brownstone - tiny backyard.

Comments (5)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

A few years ago, a truck hit our house and took out our entire front porch. We had to replace it, but there's a lovely climbing rose about three feet away. I literally stood there the entire time and made sure no one touched that rose. After all, if it survived the porch landing about three inches away from it....why shouldn't it survive the repairs? :)

In answer to your question...unless they had to bring in heavy equipment or the plants are right next to the construction work, I think the workers should have been much more careful. Next time, put the cost of replacing any lost plants into your contract with the GC. Rather than fire him, ask him to deduct the cost of replacing your garden from his bill...

• User
    10 years ago

If your plants are important to you, you remove them from at least a 15 foot distance to the construction activity. Especially when it involves dirt work. There is no real way for workmen to both be careful of the adjacent plants and get a foundation dug.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

I'd either move plants completely out of the way or put up stout protective walls/coverings. It would be great if everyone were careful, but that's not something you can depend on.

• dreamojean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems like this situation was mostly unavoidable based on the responses above since "15 feet from the construction activity" is outside our tiny yard. The plants weren't just NEXT to the construction work, they were in the middle of it, I just didn't realize the construction work required so much digging and foundation laying, this is all new to me. The yard's a tiny NYC space, 20 feet from one side to the other and the footings take up 10 feet on the west side of the property. There's already a deck over 1/3 of the exterior in back, so they only have the other 2/3 (maybe 20'x30' to dig, store, etc.). Mixing cement etc. and containers and stuff of ours they moved is taking up most of the yard.

So... oh well. I still wish the GC hadn't "yes'd" me so much when it wasn't realistic. I was very clear about what I cared about. But he's got my job, inside and outside, and other jobs, so a patch of mint and 2 gorgeous rose plants aren't going to be his top priority - and shouldn't be. (oh well)

• Fori
    10 years ago

I'd be really annoyed.

He knew what sort of destruction would ensue and he should have been honest with you when you asked. Most GCs will have no problem telling you the truth about plant stomping! Then you could have moved delicate plants.

Now--if they're not done--you get to move delicate partially mangled plants. Can you dig out the roses so they won't be smothered and maybe put boxes on them to protect them?

As for the mint, well, it'll be back. :)