Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtpam2

Width of opening in Load Bearing Wall?

mtpam2
11 years ago

The wall between my kitchen and living room is load bearing. The only opening in it had been a 30" doorway. We tore this out and widened the doorway to 36". I wanted to go to at least 40", but my husband is concerned about getting the opening too wide in the load bearing wall. How wide can you go before you need to look at putting in additional support? Is framing in a doorway enough support?

As an addition to that question, can you have more than one doorway in a load bearing wall, and if so, how close together? My bathroom adjoins the kitchen and the door currently opens into that room. I would like to try to have the bathroom doorway open from the living room instead. Not sure I can get enough room in the bathroom to do that, but if I could, it would put both the bathroom doorway and the kitchen doorway on the same load bearing wall between those rooms and the living room. The doorways could be anywhere from 40" to 80" apart. Would that work without additional support, or is that compromising the wall?

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pamla

Comments (7)