Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two stage remodel-- two contractors, bad idea?

Posted by nerd (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:42

We are in the process doing a large addition which will include a new kitchen and family room. A designer has suggested that we have one builder do all of the major construction/ framing etc. and then essentially hand off the project to another contractor who will install all of the cabinets, fixtures, countertops, etc. Has anyone ever worked on a project in this manner before? It seems that it could save some money, however I am concerned about accountability for the project for timing, if things go wrong, etc. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two stage remodel-- two contractors, bad idea?

nerd:

This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard on this forum. I can't think of a better way to ruin accountability than to allow each contractor to blame the other.

Have your designer design half the addition and another designer design the other half and see if she still thinks this is a good idea.

o

It's a horrible idea. Bad enough that it would really make me question the competency and ability of ythe person who made the suggestion. It's enough to part ways on, right now. If spending 200K for the project is out of your budget range, then rethink tbe project as a whole. Or, move. Find a home that suits you better that you won't have to drop a boatload of cash on it for you to be happy in it.

o

I know of at least one such case where I live. A remodeling company built an addition to a home, and a custom cabinet maker (the same one who built my cabinets) did the kitchen. I know that the cabinet maker has his own installers.

The cabinet maker doesn't build additions, and the contractor doesn't build cabinets. I don't see why it couldn't work, if everyone knew what their job was at the outset.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here