Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Still struggling with the decision to use an architect

navi_jen
10 years ago

All,

I had a wacky weekend. Given travel, I did not send out the chosen architect�s contract and deposit. Over the weekend, my brother really pushed me on my decision to plan long term and to spend money on an architect now. He really pushed me to think about....given the cost of phase 1 (boiler/electric/kitchen renovation & bath renovation @ $100k) AND the garage/family/master BD addition (another $150k)....will I ever build the addition if I am solo? And if I am not solo, will my DH or DB really want to stay here? And to be honest, he is probably right...the garage portion of Phase 2 is a priority (along with maybe extending the side entry & converting it to a half bath)...but the family room & master suite is probably pretty unlikely unless I find Mister Right and he wants to stay here.

So now I�m in a quandary. So is it worth spending money on an architect for Phase 2 now...given that it may never happen?

All 3 architects I had come out to the house agreed with my overall vision and my basic kitchen layout. And that my Phase 1 vision would �fit� with the eventual addition. So I know I am thinking of the right things.

On one hand, there is probably limited value to the architect in phase 1. They will not do the kitchen/bath plumbing layout, the electrical plans or the detailed kitchen and bath design (and those 4 items are exactly what would change in Phase 1). But, where they might be helpful with the following Phase 1 details:

1.Moving the DR built-in to the corner
2.Removing the chimney and moving the DR to KT door to where the chimney is
3.Closing off an existing KT doorway to the outside and converting a kitchen window to replace that window (1-3 are to improve flow in my small 10x11 kitchen)
4.Adding a few period appropriate windows to the kitchen
5.Expanding the single doorway between the LR and DR to a period appropriate double doorway (with French doors)
6. Someone to bounce ideas off of....I am prone to analysis paralysis.

However, the $10k I put towards an architect could be used for the renovation and/or to repaint the house trim. Or, if my budget stretches enough, I could extend the side entry 3 feet to convert the side entry to a first floor half bath. And I think an independent Kitchen and Bath designer would be extremely helpful to help me plan out the kitchen cabinets...which could be tricky given I want to find some vintage wood cabinets (if at all possible) and reuse them. And my bathroom is a bit of a funky layout, so they could be helpful there.

I do agree it would absolutely be necessary to hire an architect for Phase 2.

But now I�m wondering if I can forgo the architect for Phase 1 and perhaps rely my trusty Home Designer Software, a kitchen and bath designer, and a good GC. Or get an architect who is also a kitchen and bath designer and have them focus on the kitchen & bath...but maybe use them as needed for the more 'architect-y' stuff.

I am a perfectionist, so it would likely drive me nuts of a doorway isn�t centered correctly or if the windows aren�t the right �style�. But I am really torn here....is the investment right now worth it...given that Phase 2 may never get built..and given that my budget is probably pretty tight.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• weedyacres
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are enough really good people in the kitchen and bath forums here that I wouldn't spend money on architects/designers just to do your layout. Post what you've got here and people will help you through it.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

The GC's we used for home remodeling had their own architects they worked with so we never had to hire one ourselves. I'd suggest first laying out a plan of phase 1, then find a GC you trust and feel comfortable working with.

It's possible that #4 and 5 of Phase One could create some problems. Adding windows to a small kitchen can be difficult if plumbing, electrical and venting interfere. Re: # 5, french doors may or may not work......it all depends on how large your home is and if you have the floor and wall space to dedicate to the swinging doors.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

You get what you pay for, so only you know what you really want to achieve and the level of quality that's important to you.

"I'm a perfectionist..." seems to say it all, however. In that case, you need an architect and a very talented and experienced one.

Good luck on your project!

• rockybird
    10 years ago

I am in a similar situation...single person, but want to add an addition to capture views. Also if I potentially end up with a dh, I want the additional space (although this house is large as is). I bought the house and had to strip it to the studs and it is now very livable with new kitchen, etc., but the remodel is not complete.

However, I dont NEED the addition. I have had to work through whether to do the addition now and finish the remodel of the house later, or vice versa. I have been working with an architect throughout the remodel thus far. I have decided to get a new architect, however. I've interviewed 3 and think I have chosen one. This is what I decided:
    -I will use him to design a general conceptual addition for the house, but not construction documents, so that anything we do in the current remodel will allow for the eventual addition.
    The second architect I liked gave me a great price to do conceptual addition drawings and help with the remodel. I am hoping the first will also, but he is tied up on some big projects and wont be available to discuss the details for two weeks. He said in the meantime to make a list of things I dont like about the current house. In 3-5 yrs. when I am ready for the addition, I am hoping I can hire him again for construction documents.

Anyway, things you might want to consider - have you lived in the house at all? After starting on the remodel and now living in the house for 2 yrs., I now think there may be things I wish I hadnt done. Also, keep in mind the potential addition while doing the remodel. There may be things that will have to be changed later - moving walls to create an entry, how to tie in the floor types, etc. You want to minimize having to undo things you do in the current remodel. This is one reason I am enlisting an architect.

I personally feel better using an architect for this house remodel. There are so many decisions and opportunity to make poor and costly choices. However, for my condo remodel., I did not use an architect as there were not a lot of choices for the remodel, so I do think it depends on the situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I would save the money until you are 100% sure you are going to put on an addition. Being a perfectionist doesn't mean that you are going to get a perfect result. It just means that you spend more time than most people to make a decision. Sorry, but I work with too many perfectionist who can't settle for good, so nothing ever gets resolved until the "perfect" solution for them is found. And if you have an old house, things are going to be uncovered during work that you may have to compromise on. Have you had lead, radon, and asbestos testing done?

The only way to get 100% of what you want would be a complete tear down. And the amount you are willing to spend for renovations is pretty close to new build in some parts of the country. If I remember from your other posts your current house is less than 1000 SF. Not all old dwellings are worth saving. Many of them were cobbled together by he owners who had little knowledge of how to build a house, with poor quality materials go begin with. Is your basement sandstone by chance?

What other type of professionals have you interviewed to help you? Like an interior designer, or design build contractor? They might have ideas that can make a perceived flaw a feature.

• navi_jen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's interesting, I am getting a split decision here, so it makes me feel better than I am torn!

@ Weedy and Annz, if I was keeping the same doorway/window layout, I would absolutely just do it with a KD & GC. It's the reconfiguring the layout (and it's VERY tight) that gets me a bit nervous. And, if I convert the side entry into a half bath, I have absolutely no storage (outside the kitchen). Actual French doors may not be possible due to space limitations, I think it's coming from having them in my condo and I miss them!

@Virgil...I know, I want quality, and I'm a bit scared on the Design/Build team results on the 2 houses next to mine.

@Rocky. Yay! Let's hear it for single folks doing home remodels :-). Yes, that's where I think the architect will be most helpful, making sure whatever I do now will work in the potential future revision. I've lived in the house 2 years, so I definitely have a sense of light, storage and flow. Kitchen and bath design, not so much as both were demoed and cobbled together prior to my move-in.

@LoPay....You make some valid initial points. I had radon, asbestos and lead testing done before I moved in...so I'm good there. I am in Management in a large professional services firm, so although I have perfectionist tendencies, I am pretty good about pulling back, using the 80/20 rule. There is no way I would consider a tear down, though...I love old houses and Boston is one of the most expensive renovation markets in the country. That being said, it may be more cost efficient to do Phase 1, sell, and buy a slightly larger house. However, RE in my town has skyrocketed in the last year...an open house on my street (for a house about 2x my size, but not abutting the park or the last house on the dead end street) was just listed for 3x what I paid for the house 3 years ago. So this is probably my little old lady house, addition or not.

It's very interesting, though..I emailed a few more architects. The two women had a very welcoming vibe. 1 guy asked if I had my budget validated by a GC before even talking to me.....my immediate reaction is that he's no-go (and I think he's used to working on much bigger projects). The other guy seemed nice, but is booked until the end of the year...so likely not.

I'm hoping the architect I meet tomorrow (who started her career as a K&BD) will meet both my needs. Only challenge is that she is old school and still draws....she has a draftsmen who can convert to digital (which I like to get a better '3D' sense)...but wondering if it would be more expensive. Or, I can convert her drawings to digital with Home Designer Suite (which I love playing on anyways).

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!