Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caren_weiner

Long Distance Remodeling

Caren Weiner
10 years ago

We are closing tomorrow on what we hope will be our dream house in Florida. It's a 1967 waterfront ranch property, badly in need of a major remodel - kitchen, 2 bathrooms, flooring and the first priority, whole house re-wiring (for insurance purposes) and changing a flat roof in part of the house. We got some estimates before we made our offer so we know roughly what we are getting into financially. The issue is, we currently live in NY, my SO will be able to spend whatever time is necessary at the house but my job will keep me here in NY, except for long weekend trips. We will be working with an architect and a GC.

Has anyone successfully completed a large remodeling job where they were not living in the area? Looking for advice/tips.

thanks for the help!

Comments (3)

• Sms
    10 years ago

Not completed but in process right now. The most frustrating thing is dealing with all the town, zoning, costal approvals just to get a permit. Have your architect do this as part of the service they provide. You should also have very, very detailed specifications in your CG bid and contract. Communication gaps are a challenge to manage through but a clear and detailed scope of work document with specifics on material choices will help a lot. The other thing I'd suggest is to use Skype to have periodic meetings with your architect and GC.

Good luck!!

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Communication is the key. With your SO being on site, be SURE that your wishes are represented in writing. The big danger is when people assume that they know what someone else wants. That especially goes for SO's and contractors who think they do, but weren't really listening. You need to be sure that you have pictures of things represented that you want and that all parties have seen those. Construction documents needs to be especially detailed, and copies of them need to be in every tradesperson's hands. Your SO needs to do a daily video walkthrough for you. The time to correct something that isn't correct is very close to when it was done. If something happens and it's not noticed until a week later, by that time, the sequencing of the job makes going back and fixing that more difficult.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Ditto to the above. Room by room, make a list and make triple copies. If it's not in writing, your contractor will not get it done. Silly little things will pop up. We are in process too, but 1.5 hours away, and still, they miss stuff. I was amazed at all the paint drips from sloppy painters who don't cover stuff, and a treasured plant might not make it due to toxic overspray...They don't care about your stuff. They just want to get the job done.

We are living in the house now, and there is zero privacy. AND they don't put the toilet lid down!!

I just want the job finished and them out of here! But communication is key! Our contractor has a habit of this smile and the word, "awesome," so you think he'll remember. He will NOT!

GET ALL IN WRITING, AND CHECK IT OFF!

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA