Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nitetiger4

What is this wood floor?

nitetiger4
11 years ago

I suspect it is Douglas Fir, since I live in Utah and Douglas Fir is around. Other clues: a small chip in the boards reveals a reddish color. There is what I would consider feathering on some of the grain. You can kinda mark it with your fingernail. The home is around 140 years old, though this floor may be from 1914 when they remodeled the home. I need help because I need to find some replacement boards before refinishing it. :)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5S3HrvJGivbNTMtWjZCM1YzQzQ

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5S3HrvJGivbRk5FWTFJZ3pubDg

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5S3HrvJGivbbkVFWXNqazF3ZUU

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• terrybull
    11 years ago

im in idaho and that looks like a mixed grain fir. i had to make a bunch of it for a resturant that had floor damage. it wasnt as wide as yours but the same.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I would concur with Terry, mixed grain Douglas Fir.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Looks like fir.

• nitetiger4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! At first I thought it might be heart pine, but then I realized that doesn't make sense considering the home was a two bedroom adobe house in its first life. Since they made the walls from nearby stuff, I figured the floor was too. Thanks for the input! Now I'm off to find some replacements.

• nitetiger4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also wanted to mention that I love the mixed grain look. I think that the clear stuff is boring. :-) this floor has real character.

• nitetiger4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! At first I thought it might be heart pine, but then I realized that doesn't make sense considering the home was a two bedroom adobe house in its first life. Since they made the walls from nearby stuff, I figured the floor was too. Thanks for the input! Now I'm off to find some replacements.

• terrybull
    11 years ago

ok .ok ,ok. if you need some let me know.

• nitetiger4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, sorry for the multiple posts. Not sure what happened there.

I'll let you know Terrybul. We're in contact with someone that sells reclaimed flooring, so hopefully we can get some that way. Thanks!

• nitetiger4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys! Hoping I can get some help (quickly, because I don't have much time to work on these floors :) ) So parts of these floors seem to have a brown paint on them. I was working at getting the paint off with an orbital sander and 60 grit sandpaper, but it does not seem to be working very well and it's exposing a lot of new wood on the higher parts of the wood.

Questions:

1) Is it safe to use a belt sander on these floors or will that ruin the wood?

2) What grit of sandpapers should I be using so that I don't lose the patina? I don't want the floors to look smooth and new, but weathered and old while still being attractive.

3) How much should I sand down to keep the patina? I am not exactly sure what I am looking for. Do I sand til the gray is all gone or do I just sand the gray bit smooth with a fine grain sandpaper?