Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

No truck. Best trailer for DIY home remodeling?

mudworm
12 years ago

My hubby and I have two vehicles for work commute and do not intend to purchase a truck. I have a 2005 Honda CR-V. We are doing a house remodeling and I have been able to fit quite a bit in my CR-V. But we can use a vehicle for hauling stuff to the dump or bringing home sheetrock, etc.

We are thinking about a trailer hoping that it will be sufficient. I don't know much about trailers and don't know what would be the best option for a remodeling project. I suppose we'll keep the trailer after the remodel just in case we may need to haul yard materials.

I've seen (online) foldable trailers from Harbor Freight for a couple hundred bucks, but I've also seen fully enclosed trailers that run for a few thousands.

For those who have experience with trailers, what type/size of trailer would be adequate for our use? Any inputs? Thank you in advance!

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

The fully enclosed models may be over kill for your intended useage requirements. Unless you live in a rain forest and have rain daily.

As much as I dislike Harbor Freight(Chinese knockoffs that undermine and totally lowball real companies products) the HF trailer (folding or non folding) is up to handling most small DIY projects(one room/etc).

You can add sides for mulch/etc. And put better tires on for more dependable use.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

The Honda's towing capacity is 1500 pounds. That covers a light amount of construction materials. You'll need a good trailer hitch for it. I suggest a hidden hitch with a convert-a-ball attachment. That will hide away most times but let you tow trailers of varying ball sizes in case you want to rent a trencher or other piece of construction equipment. Make sure you have your vehicle wired to supply trailer lights and don't buy a trailer without them.

The most useful trailer dimension would be a 5 or 6 x 10 one. It's long enough for 10' drywall sheets or 10' lumber and plumbing pipes. A heavier duty one will give you better service than one of the Harbor Freight tinker toy ones. Be sure you get a trailer hitch lock for both when you tow and for storage. An additional chain around a tree will also help as a theft deterrent. Small trailers are very easily stolen unless you keep them locked up. Also be sure to use sufficient blocking if you have to park it on a slope.

Backing a trailer isn't the easiest thing to learn if you don't have an in person coach, so find someone who can teach you and practice with his trailer in an empty parking lot before you buy one. A trailer with a longer tongue is easier to back than one with a short tongue. If you can't manage the skill, you can at least move it into it's storage spot by hand after you empty it, but it will make it harder on you to have to haul construction materiqals from the street, so keep practicing your backing skills with a spotter.

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

You could get something like this:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: for sale here

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

"Small trailers are very easily stolen unless you keep them locked up".

Having had a small hauler stolen,(by my wifes cousin!), definetely take measures to lock it up. I use an old ball and place it in the tongue and lock that along with a "u" shaped bar that straddles the axle and runs through the rim with a padlock that isn't easily "jimmied". That's for our 6' x 12' hauler. Best if you have a cable that can thread through both rims and runs along the axle and as mentioned , anchored to a tree or other fixture. If they want it bad enough, it will get gone, but most bad guys aren't going to want to work that hard if it's locked up decent.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, it took me a while to digest the helpful information. I showed the thread to my DH too. Thanks to all of you for taking your time to share your thoughts! I think the trailer that we purchase will be used mainly for large sized yet fairly light weight construction/yard materials. After having read some discussions, I think we should leave drywall hanging and taping to the professionals.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Hi, I have a 6x12 dual-axle enclosed trailer for hauling antiques, but for remodeling, I'd suggest a dump trailer, which will save you a lot of time at the landfill for unloading plaster and debris. But even a little plaster is going to exceed the Honda's capacity, so a nice new vehicle is in order. ;-)

Casey

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Casey's suggestion was probably meant tongue in cheek, but I seriously agree that if you're going to be doing a lot of landscaping or demoliton that a dump traler is a labor saving godsend. (I've got that setup myself and it's far better than the old Loadhandler I used to use.) Just buying in bulk over prebagged goods at a home center will pay for the trailer. You can buy a ratty old F-350 for around 3K and it will haul just about anything you'll ever need hauled plus the detachable trailer. You'd be surprised at how much money it will save on delivery fees too! Plus people tend to stay out of your way when you're driving such a behemoth.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, TSC....their trailers are inexpensive and perfectly adequate. The lighter weight trailers can be hung up in your garage MAYBE, or flopped on their sides. I'm not so sure about the folding...

I briefly thought about replacing my truck after it passed away, but you can rent a truck from Home Depot for $35/hr here so if I really need a truck, I can do that. (I currently have a huge pile of brush in my backyard so obviously this plan isn't working.)

I think a trailer makes much more sense than a truck!