Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building chases around waste stacks

Posted by dave11 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 18:22

I'm getting ready to insulate the part of my basement where all 5 waste stacks run. Unfortunately, all five are on the perimeter wall, each approx 3-4 inches from the block wall. The stacks are all copper, installed in 1951. Some have clean-out plugs at the bottom, some do not.

My plan for the walls there is to place 1 inch foam panels against the block walls, then stud walls with fiberglass, then sheetrock. But the five waste stacks will either need to be skipped, or chased, correct? I'm not aware of any other way to deal with them.

Does anyone have advice on how much clearance to give each stack? Or whether to leave an opening in the chase for the clean-outs? I'm assuming if any work ever needed to be done on a stack, its chase would have to be demo'd anyway.

Any advice appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building chases around waste stacks

I'd probably look at using plywood instead of drywall over the pipes. Installed with screws, which could be covered with lattice strips (or fancier moldings). At the ceiling line you could caulk the seam, but if the panel was taken off, they'd need to cut the caulk or the drywall surface would be torn.
At the very least, set access panels in the drywall for the cleanouts.
Casey

o

Sombreuil--that's a really good idea. Less work to start with, and easier to remove/replace if ever needed. I guess I was trying to "hide" the pipes by making them blend with the drywall, but maybe it's best to just make them "different."

Thanks.

o

Do all five stacks run up one wall?

If so I'd think about moving the entire finished, inside wall inside them, leave the entire thing for them to run in. And hold insulation.

If they are clustered, then the plywood method above makes a lot of sense.

(We just had a home surveyed for energy use...the guys prediction was insulating the basement would be a $700 per year savings. 3/4 basement or maybe you'd call it a daylight basement. No window wells, they are above ground but everything else is basement)

o

Depending on the arrangement, I agree with two people on here.

Bump out if they are clustered, move the whole wall if they are spaced out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here