Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopealliswell

remodeling kitchen and may add on...

hopealliswell
11 years ago

We are definitely remodeling kitchen. Gut. Still making decisions there, which will effect whether we want to refurbish and simply screen in back porch or... remove cement "foundation" porch is on and lay new one and extend the porch to make a larger, windowed 3 seasoned "room" off kitchen. I realize its really what we want and need space wise. But has anyone out there had to make this decision? It's a 1939 yr. old house. My Hubby, 16 yr. son and I. 3 season more $$'s but will the screened porch sort of be wasted bucks. Less likely to go out there in our jammies?! Until we get great landscaping!(;

Comments (5)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

We have a 1931 home. When we purchased it had a galley kitchen with 5 doorways in it, a half bath, maids' room as a breakfast room, and a screened porch. Tiny bathrooms and closets, and laundry in the basement.

We have lived here about 15 years now. Our first remodel was to turn the porch into a 4 season room. It was already on a concrete slab. We added electric base board heating, a ceiling fan, and removed the screening and installed sliding windows that have screens. The windows are actually removable, but we tend to keep them in year round. This has worked out nicely. Room has a small bistro table, futon, TV and is baseball central. Nothing better than watching baseball on the futon under the ceiling fan. This room is off the kitchen and living room via french doors. There is no AC ducted into this room. It stays cool enough in the summer with the doors open and the ceiling fan on.

Second project was kitchen renovation (done about 10 years ago when it was simple to get a home equity LOC). We added on, and poured new crawlspace foundation. Brought the space into a rough rectangular space, that incorporated the breakfast area, enlarged kitchen, and half bath. Replaced all in the kitchen to the studs. Put in island with seating, and new windows. It's a fantastic space.

Third remodel project was moving the laundry upstairs off the MBR, adding 2 walk-in closets, and an office. this space is over the porch. This required removing the breadboard ceiling on the original porch. Doing that allowed us to add some pot lights. This was a move or improve remodel decision. The best part is that our original tiny bathrooms are as-is. But now I can get ready and use the hair dryer and do my makeup in the "dressing room/laundry room" off the master bedroom closets. Since we can't realistically ever enlarge the size of our bathrooms, this has given the space we need functionally without the expense of a huge bathroom.

• hopealliswell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Juliekcmo, thanks for your response. Was busy preparing to leave town and then out of town. I am thinking that the four season is the way to go. It sounds like you were able to put your 4 seasoner directly on the concrete slab. Our slab seems as though it was poured in two parts, at different times over the years. I say this because the furthest four feet or so away from our back door (off our kitchen) slopes down. One contractor wants to build over that. Hum? I wonder is that a good idea. Also, do you think a 12' X 9'10" four season room is big enough for the money we'd invest? Thanks!

• Pinteresting
    11 years ago

Hi,

This is my first time responding to anyone's question, I just found the site two days ago and love it.

Anyway, as part of my kitchen I have a 12.5 x 9.5 'sun room'. I can put a wicker settee, the two chairs and the table and it pretty much fills the space. There's a corner left open for something small. When our daughter moved back from college we moved the wicker out and we put her sofa (not a huge one, but full size) and a trunk she had as a coffee table and it filled it to where there was only enough room to open the french door opposite the sofa. Still had the corer left for something small. Have put the dining table there (42" round), and that's kind of awkward moving around it. I wish with my space it was 2-4 feet deeper. Hope this helps you think about what you would like to do with your space.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I would add the space you want, BUT I suggest insulating it, using double- or triple-pane windows, and adding heating, so you can use it in winter, too. Those dim, dreary days are when you really want the three walls of windows.

• hopealliswell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your responses. Welcome Pinteresting! I think we'll probably insulate. Now the question is can we get a permit to remove large cement foundation porch is on (in two pieces, because it was added onto) or do we just build over it. If we don't get permit we'd have to keep it the same size, and if we do, that could effect our already high taxes. Maybe I just answered my own question! Keep it the size it is now and live with it that size?! Does anyone else go through this crazy decision making mess?