Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Finding an architect

rockybird
10 years ago

How does one find an architect? Do you interview multiple architects until you find one with the same vision or whom you feel comfortable with? This is what I have been doing, and I assume that you meet with them and discuss the project and their rates?

I have been using an arch. (that was recommended) as a consultant during a gut remodel of a mcm home. He is a very nice guy and I like him a lot. I decided to do a master addition and paid him for basic conceptual plans, but they did not incorporate things that we had discussed - his/her baths, place for an espresso maker, w/d in master, etc. Also, he put the entry door where the electric panel is and did not design the basic structure as we had discussed. After meeting with me again, he agreed to revise the drawings, but I did not care to pay him a second time, so I asked him to hold off.

I lost trust in that arch. and decided to look at getting another one. This is to finish a remodel and design an addition. It needs to be done right so as not to detract from the original architecture.

I called three architects. One was recommended by other architects and had worked with the original architect (now deceased) for the home. The second was younger and I really liked him, but not so sure i liked his stuff online. Plus, he said he could not help much with design details, while the first said he could. The third arch. is older and worked with the original architect also, but I am not confident he can help with the details to finish the remodel. I decided to go with the first arch. I called him back and he assured me he could fit my needs and to make a list of things I wanted to change in the house. He said he was finishing up two big projects and to call in 2-3 weeks to meet. I called him after 3 weeks, and left two msgs. but I did not get a response. Now I feel like I need to start over and find a new architect. I also do not know why he didnt return my phone calls. I am searching online trying to find one whose work I like, but I am not having much luck finding the right one.

Comments (6)

• Sms
    10 years ago

Go to your local lumber yard and ask them. They see all the mistakes and can be very helpful in suggesting architects and/or contractors for you ask.

• myhaz
    10 years ago

Put up a request on thumbtack.com for an architect in your area. See how many will reply and you can go from there. That is how I found an architect that I'm real happy with.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It would be far cheaper to pay the original architect to make the changes. If you hire another architect it should be for another reason.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You may have a difficult time hiring another architect as well as they generally do not like to come in in the middle of a project (professional ethics) and if you can convince them to take your project you will probably end up paying a fee based on dam near starting from scratch if not more as he first has to determine the entire process up to that point.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

In the past, some of your written words have been unclear in your posts. Not placing blame at all on either party. I'm just suggesting that some of the communication issues aren't all on the architect. Not trying to be snarky here. I'm just suggesting that you go through and write down exactly what you expect, and have expected from the original architect. Then set up a meeting with him and be sure he gets a copy of that so that things are crystal clear. It's always cheaper and faster to stick with the originator of the project. They understand what's going on, and you don't have to waste time and money bringing someone else up to speed. Plus, you'll be very unlikely to find someone who IS willing to step into the middle of what you have happening there. That's why you're not getting callbacks. It's just easier to fade away than to tell you that you need to resolve the original conflict.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the advice. Yes, maybe I did word the post confusingly.

He called me back first thing this AM. I guess he was out of town. We're meeting next week to discuss the house.

This post was edited by rockybird on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 2:09