Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluemtnhome

sacrifice spare room for master bath?

bluemtnhome
9 years ago

We have a 3000+ sq ft home from the 1960s we are remodeling. Upstairs we have 4 bedrooms and 2 tiny baths (6x10 for the hall bath and 6x8 for the master). We also have a basement level bedroom and bath that we use for guests. We want to have a real master bath that suits the house. We can steal square footage from the master bedroom for a modestly larger bath...or we can sacrifice the 4th bedroom and turn it into a bathroom (10x12). So, reducing the bedroom count could reduce resale value. But having a bigger master bath is more modern. What should we do?

Comments (6)

• raddad
    9 years ago

so right now the house is 5 bed, 3 bath and you are going to go to 4 bed, 4 bath. I think for a 3000 SF house that configuration is typical and the 5 bed is actually a little weird. If you were going from 4 bedrooms to 3 I would say value would be affected but not in this case.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Is the basement bedroom a legal bedroom?

If you convert the 4th bedroom to a master bath, what happens to the existing bath space?

How big is the master and how much space would you take for the bath?

A plan would help immensely.

Is it the norm in your area to have 2 kids? Or more?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We did this in our last house and I was always sorry we gave up the extra bedroom (and our extra bedroom and bath were on the first floor, not basement). I think we should have figured out a way to steal space to make one of the two bathrooms upstairs en suite and larger without giving up the fourth bedroom altogether. Also, having had a good size bathroom (about 12 x 13) for 26 years, I simply don't see the point. I could have a had a very nice, but smaller, bathroom and been perfectly happy.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Can you post a floor plan?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Make sure you can legally add another toilet. Depending on your local codes, sewer/septic etc, you main have to upgrade your main drain line from a standard 3" to a 4" with the addition of a 4th toilet... (ask me how I know). That adds quite a bit of expense and yard tear-up to what maybe is a "small" project.

• RChicago
    9 years ago

We bought a 4BR house last year knowing we were going down to 3BRs. When we expanded the master bath into the adjacent closet, we lost the only closet. So, we created a doorway between our master bedroom and the adjacent bedroom (which was the smallest bedroom at 11x10), and now have a lovely walk-in closet. And yes, we did close the doorway from the small bedroom to the hall.

I'm so happy we did it as we now have a large bathroom with a two-person shower and separate tub AND a walk-in closet. I think future buyers will be more thrilled with this set up than the old one. And if a 4th bedroom is needed, we or future owners can always open the room back up to the hall.

I think an important question for you will be the cost of adding plumbing to an area that doesn't currently have any. It may make financial sense to expand the existing bathroom a bit. Could you do something like we did and compensate for losing some master bedroom space by creating a master suite that extends into an adjacent bedroom? Our plumbing was pricey and we didn't even move the toilet!