Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splats

Raising Floor in Wash Room

splats
11 years ago

A friend of mine in MS has one of those raised houses. It is brick with a carport on the end. the house itself is raised about 3 feet off the ground. The carport is at ground level and has a storage room in front of it attached to the house. This storage room has been converted into a laundry room. It is on a slab and there is access into the house through a door with steps. The room is not "finished" and we are thinking about finishing it and raising the floor to be level with the house floor which happens to be off dining nook. This laundry room has the washer, dryer and hot water heater in it. Looks like maybe a 30 gallon heater.

Question: how feasable would it be to raise the floor, have it strong enough to support washer/dryer/water heater and maybe able to tile it to match adjoining room?

Comments (4)

• User
    11 years ago

First, is the ceiling in the proposed laundry area high enough to raise the floor?

Second, is there any evidence the room/slab are moving in relation to the house---sinking, tilting, etc.?

If the answers to the above are yes and no respectively, there is no reason the floor could not be raised, providing there is at least 10" to 12" of height difference.

That is necessary in order to have enough room to install 2" by 10" floor joists and sufficient flooring to support the appliances/water heater.

• splats
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ceiling is plenty high, too high actually, about 10-11 feet. One of the reasons for raising floor to house level. Room also has a solid slab.

Anyone got a place/link, etc I can see that would diagram out what kind of substructure we would need to build for the new floor. thanks.

• User
    11 years ago

How the framing would need to be depends on how high the new floor needs to be to match the existing floor, the dimensions of the room, and how the raised floor will be connected to the existing floor.

But, basically you will need to build the floor joists like those in a regular sub floor---just need to determine how the joists will be supported.

The subfloor needs to match the subfloor height of the existing house.

• splats
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The roof of the house and wash room is the same unit, i.e., all one roof. but the wash room is a separate room from the adjoining dining room. The current floor/slab of the wash room is about 3' below the dining room floor. The wall separating the two rooms is brick with a standard 30" door in it at dining room level with steps down to washroom floor. So what I'm saying is, the raised floor in the washroom will be completely separate from the dining room floor. Guess I need to talk to a contractor or get a book at Lowes that diagrams a floor substructure; but I'm guessing it would be something like a deck with post, beams and joist but just more closly spaced for strength. but then again, that is what I'm trying to find out.