Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help!! Half Wall Or New Iron Railing for House

Posted by TRC77 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 15:42

I am in desperate need of some advice. My husband and I purchased a 1980's tri-level house recently. We have been working hard to update the house and make modern. The house had old brown slat stair rails on staircase, upstairs loft, and around the entire dining room which is on main level and overlooks the family room on lower level.

We decided to put in iron stair rails to update the look. Project is starting soon. We made the stair rail on upper level loft a half wall so you can't see into the room from the main level. Staircase wiil be pretty iron design with stained hand rail to match our new wood floors. We had decided to also put iron around the dining room on main level but now I am very worried that we are making a mistake and should do a half wall here as well???

Pros of doing iron....when standing in kitchen also on main level, you can see through dining room into lower level family room and pretty view of pool and brick paver patio (also remodeled!). Very open look but makes dining room have a more casual feel.

Cons of doing iron and not wall...more noise penetration in house, in family room on lower level the couches won't have a high wall behind them and you can see the floor of the dining room on next level.

Thoughts?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help!! Half Wall Or New Iron Railing for House

Guess I'm not fully versed in a tri-level layout, but it sounds like I might choose a wall. That noise bouncing around always bothers me and I'd personally try to avoid it if possible.

Never been a big fan of the totally open concept. Always like a place to 'get away' visually if not physically.

Tough call. Good luck!

o

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
I've been in many tri-levels, and it seems normal to have an open type railing between the main level and the lower level.
But, a picture would help.

o

I will see if I can post pics. Thanks for your input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here