Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momdr1010

Quartz seams-placement, and looks

momdr1010
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and I need some advice/perspective on my situation. Thanks!

A week ago today, I had Sileston Lagoon quartz countertops installed. I chose to go to a certain business on the recommendation of my contractor. I trusted his opinion, since he's seen many a countertop in his time.I visited the showroom, gave a rough estimate of the size of my "U' shaped kitchen, which came out to be about 40 sq. ft. I was told that because of the size of my kitchen counters, they might have to use 2 slabs instead of one, doubling my cost. They mentioned that Silestone had jumbo slabs in certain patterns, and one was "Lagoon". They "played" with possible configurations on the computer to see what could work, seemingly trying to place any seams in an inconspicuous place. A configuration was never actually finalized. I said would I think about it, and let them know. I had ordered a sample of Silestone Lagoon so I could test the durability and stain resistance before I made my final decision. After my testing, I returned to the showroom, and confirmed that I wanted the Lagoon. They sent out someone to template with a laser and take pictures of my kitchen earlier in the week, and they gave me a quote based on 41.5 sq.ft. on a jumbo slab. On this estimate it read on the bottom, "Estimate only. Need actual drawing to quote. Will review after template." I never got to review anything further. I never saw a final drawing. This is what I signed. A week or two later, I called to see what the status of the countertop installation was since I hadn't heard anything, and they said they had me scheduled for a week from that day for installation. In retrospect, I should have asked what happened to the final quote, and drawing. Anyway, the crew was scheduled to come between 1pm and 3pm. I had hired my contractor for some other things to do around my house that day and wanted him to be on hand for the installation. The crew finally arrived at 5pm. My contractor was long gone by then.
I left them alone to do the job, since it was already so late, and I was already perturbed that no one called to tell me they were running so late. When they were finally done, around 7:15pm, I entered my kitchen, and there, right in front of me, in the middle of the "U", is a seam! A very evident seam. The seam itself didn't look good to me either. They tried to make one "chip" in the seam look less obvious, but in general, that didn't make me particularly pleased. Meanwhile, I've smelled too much construction adhesive and am stressed, and sign off on it, reluctantly giving them a check, the last half of what we owe. (I asked if I could pay by credit card tomorrow instead, and they said there would be a 4% surcharge.) My husband comes home and is not happy. He doesn't like where the seam is or how it looks. We put a stop payment on the check. We call, send emails the next day to the showroom. No real response.The next day, Saturday, my husband and I decide to pay a surprise visit to the place and talk to the owner. He says he will send a crew over to try to correct the seam. We ask the question as to why the seam was placed there in the first place, and he says it might have had something to do with the "pattern" in the Lagoon. (There may be a "flow" to the Lagoon, but I see no detectable pattern.) He assures us this will be resolved by Friday. Monday no one calls me. Tuesday someone tries to set me up with an appointment for Friday, and I told them the owner told me it would be resolved by Friday, how about Thursday? She makes it for this afternoon (Thurs.) between 1 and 3pm. I just now get a call, at 2pm, that the crew has gotten tied up and cant get here today, could they come tomorrow at 9:30am? Unreal. (I have attached a pic of the seam in the kitchen.) I mentioned as to why I could not have had just one seam at the sink, and was told that it would have been heavy and hard to maneuver. Really?? My kitchen is all open on one side. Thanks for being patient and reading my saga. Am I being unreasonable to expect better service for $4,000? How does this seam look to you???

Comments (9)

• Gracie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not good if it's that visible in a photo. They should have used a device that electronically pulls the two slabs tightly together.

I have a U too and my seam is 4" from the corner of the peninsula, not in the middle of a cabinet! Here is my seam, taken with a camera with professional photography lighting, so it really shows up. ;) Can you find it? It's the width of a hair.

• momdr1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi may_flowers,
    Thanks for posting and responding! I cannot see your seam at all. When they come to try to "repair" mine tomorrow, I'll use yours as an example!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Well, the question isn't whether the seam should look like mayflower's (mine look like that too), but whether your seam is within industry tolerances -- I would post this to the kitchen forum, where there are some pros who will comment on this. As for where the seam was put, I certainly wouldn't have opted for the middle of the U, but since it was not discussed, I'm not sure you can hold them to any particular location.

• momdr1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan, Thanks for the input. I think your suggestion to go on the Kitchen Forum is a great idea.....will do! Thanks!

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

I don't think the seam is bad. But rather where it's located. If it were to the left of the drawer (in between the other cabinet and the drawer) it would definetely look more balanced.

• momdr1010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

• clarettekim
    9 years ago

Hi Momdr, how did your repair turn out? My quartz seam looks like yours and I'm curious whether they were able to get it any tighter.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

At first I didn't think the seam was terrible but then I saw may flowers perfectly hidden seam, dang! The contractor could be telling the truth about the seam depending on the layout and what's available with the slab, but then again, it could be a line of bull in hopes you just forgot about it...

Ether way your counter tops are beautiful,I hope they make it right for you. I freaked about my seam a little too when my kitchen was done but I hired a guy off CL and got a decent deal. I also had a tiny crack/hole in the sink area and I really freaked about that... A couple years later, that little crack/hole is still there and I don't even notice it or the seam...

Let us know the outcome.