Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How dark does Cherry wood (cabinet) get ???

Posted by mcook (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 15:09

We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red mahagony color, & given the fact that cherry will darken in its color over time....

1. How dark will it get? Or does it bring out more redness instead of the 'darkness' (I guess I'm thinking of black or something)?

2. How long does it take for cherry to reach it's "max" color?

3. In my case, should I stain a little lighter than the color we desire?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How dark does Cherry wood (cabinet) get ???

Hi mcook,

Since you aren't getting any responses, thought I'd chime in here. I am also having cherry cabinets installed for my kitchen/laundry and master bath. They are all different stains. The kitchen I ordered a black glaze. I'm a little concerned about the darkness, but instead choose to think of it as a rich old world look, which I love.

I've heard that the cherry darkens a couple shades, and it depends on the amount of light in the room. I've also been told that it happens gradually enough that you, seeing it every day probably won't notice it. Another thing I've heard is that using a darker stain, the change is less dramatic. I had a sample piece of wood for my kitchen cabinet, and purposely left it in bright sunlight for a couple weeks. It did darken a bit, but the reddish highlights came out which are beautiful. I'm going from blonde oak cabinets to these, so it's a little bit scary.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with real world results.

o
RE: How dark does Cherry wood (cabinet) get ???

I bought a brand new home eight years ago, with new cherry cabinets. The stain was basically a neutral, that brought out the natural color of the wood, which was dark, but not real dark. Over the course of 8 years, the cabinets darkened, but quite gradually. I would say they were about 2 shades darker when I moved out. Exposure to light really does effect the cabinet coloration. I had a spare piece of toe kick in the garage that received little light and the color was obviously different. I loved the original color, but loved the aged color even more.

A neighbor used a brownish reddish stain on their cherry cabinets and I would describe the color as "merlot". Rather dark. Don't know how it looked years later.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here