Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attach something to Brick...How?

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 14:18

I have a brick chimney. Alongside it is our old Giant Propane tank. I built a 3'W x 5'H picket fence section, stained it and used those heavy duty 7' long green fence posts (for chain link) to secure the section in the ground...there was not enough room to dig 4x4 posts in...at least on the left side anyway.

The sucker is likely fine as is but in a HEAVY wind I could see it how it could sway forward / backward. The fence section sits at an angle to the chiminey. I'd like to add a bracket to the center 2 x 4 on the fence section connecting it to the chiminey. That would prevent any sway. How can I affix my bracket to the chiminey....screw into the block...the mortar etc...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attach something to Brick...How?

You could attach a 1x4 wood strip to the chimney with cut masonry nails into the mortar joints, then screw the bracket into the wood, or you could use a hammer drill to make the holes necessary for some plastic anchors and attach the bracket directly. The masonry nails have no power to hold into the material, but they effectively pin it from side-to-side movement. You would have to determine if such a fixity suits your design. Anchors have side-to-side fixity and withdrawal resistance to boot.
Casey

o

tapcon screws attach into brick..
use masonary bit smaller than tapcon screw
to drill pilot hole and drill to screw in tapcon screw

just a thought.

o

I have tapcons....was not sure If I should go into brick or mortar though...

o

"I have tapcons....was not sure If I should go into brick or mortar though..."

Either is fine sine you do not require an actual rated joint.

Make sure you use the correct size drill bit for Tapcons, a drill at least 1/2 inch or so deeper than the screw will be inserted, and then blow the dust out of the hole.

Oversize holes really weaken tapcons withdrawal strength.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here