Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are pocket doors less insulating than regular doors?

Posted by rlthomas7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 13:58

We're building an addition and the new family room will have access to a small "mud room" where we plan to store our son's outside toys, trike, sports stuff, snow shovels, etc. It will have an exterior door and an interior door into our family room. I was considering using a pocket door to make the most use of the small space in there, but I wasn't sure if it was smart to use a pocket door when going into an unheated room. we're in Pennsylvania, if it matters, so winters are cold and summers are hot! Thanks in advance for your opinion on this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are pocket doors less insulating than regular doors?

They don't latch as tightly, don't close against a stop, have a gap (usually not seen b/c top of frame is trimmed out) at the top where they hang from the track, and *may* have a bigger gap at the bottom than a hinged door (definitely true over carpet, if you want a hinged door tight to carpet you can manage to open and close it). So I'd say not a good choice if you are trying to built an "airlock".

Then again, the door to my mudroom stays open, I'm considering removing it completely (but mine is heated).

o

You can minimze the gaps if you want.

While pocket doors do not normally have a 'stop' on the off-side jamb, they can be added (even a pair of them).

Actually putting in weather seals is going to show more, but coupled with a stop on the off-side jamb a seal can be placed on the edge-face of the door to seal.

The loss of insulation space in the pocket is also going to increase heat loss.

A closed pocket door is still going to be better than no door or an always open door.

o

Pennsylvania building and energy codes do not permit an uninsulated door in this location between conditioned and unconditioned space.

You are required to install an insulated door with a U-factor of at least .35 or less unless you live in the extreme southeast of the state where you can get away with a minimum of U .40.

No pocket door will achieve this minimum U-factor even if using an insulated slab.

Bottom line: You will need to consider other types of insulated, non-pocket type doors between your conditioned living space and this unheated mudroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here