Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
destructionaddict

Is this load bearing?

destructionaddict
10 years ago

Long-time reader, first time post.

In the process of a small kitchen remodel. Discovered that the doorway to the kitchen use to be a pocket door. Decided to take out the wall where the pocket door would hide. This was not a load bearing wall as the framing for the pocket door was flimsy. I took out some of the drywall above the door hope I could remove the header to the door. What you see on the right is the header to the ex-pocket door with double top plate and insulation peaking through the gaps. The column is the end of a wall that runs the length of the kitchen (parallel to joists). What you see across the top is perpendicular to joists near the center of a raised ranch home (2nd floor). Our roof trusses are Howe (K). The left is the opening to the dining room. That looks to be a 2x8 with a 2x4 on the back side running 11ft opening of the dining room. It doesn't seem like the type of setup is normal if that section is load bearing. There like a 1/8" gap between the 2x8 and top plate that runs the length of the opening. Everything else is made of 2x4s.

Trying to determine if I can remove the double top plate and headers and the 2x8/2x4 on the dining room side.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comment (1)