Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

How do you find a contractor to remove concrete?

TxMarti
12 years ago

I looked in the yellow pages and only found one guy who removes. He came out yesterday to give me a bid. I'd like to have at least 3 bids.

Comments (14)

• User
    12 years ago

If there's not a lot of possibility of damaging any other structures, then just call Manpower for a couple of laborers to sledgehammer it and order a dumpster yourself. If it's a bit more tricky, concrete contractors deal with more than the forms and pouring of concrete, so give them a call and ask about demo. If it's a really big job, such as removing a patio and replacing it with lawn and constructing a new patio elsewhere, contact a major landscape company or landscape architect.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's removing a part of the driveway, so too much for Manpower. There might be a water line under it.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"It's removing a part of the driveway, so too much for Manpower."

Not if you break it up first.

"There might be a water line under it."

Unless they use large power equipment the line should be more than deep enough to be safe.

• chrisk327
    12 years ago

I had this done at my house, we were having demo of our second story done at the same time, so I talked to demo contractos..... they didn't want to touch it.

I talked to my mason/concrete guy, and he did it, much cheaper than demo guy would have charged.

for 1, they have the machineary to do it, again depending on how big a job, and accesability, and how far the debris will need to be moved.
    2) they know how/where to dispose of it. concrete is heavy, but if it is really just concrete, the actual dumping charge is much lower, by me, than regular general waste, as it can be recycled.
    I would call guys who do concrete work. is nothing going back there? ie: no more driveway?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I called down the list of concrete contractors and found one more who does removal, but most say they don't. No more driveway there, it will be landscaped. We closed in the garage and built another, so don't want the old approach.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

i think the answers in this thread all point to the fact that it's low skill work with little need for a specialized pro. When you called down the list of concrete contractors and found one more who does removal, you could have asked the others who else they would call in to remove stuff before they begin a new job. I think they too would say basically the same kind of answer as you are getting here, which is that you alone have to know what might be uncovered underneath and plan around it. Breaking it is a matter of a few whacks. The previous post gave you a pretty good answer. From chrisk327 .

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a great idea davidro1. We could rent a jackhammer & dh could probably break up the old. It's the picking up the heavy pieces and hauling them off that would be the hard part for us, and we need someone with that saw to make a cut where we want it.

• homebound
    12 years ago

If your landscapers do patio installations, ask them for a quote.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"It's the picking up the heavy pieces and hauling them off that would be the hard part for us"

Break them up smaller.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ditto.

i think some very easy answers exist, to every one of the OP's objections. Easy to oversee breakup. Easy to get it done. So simple a job that nobody wants to touch it.

Yes, the rock-breaking person needs to wear safety glasses and needs to know how to avoid self-inflicting injuries, but still it's not rocket science, it's rock cracking.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But where do you take the broken concrete? Will the landfill take it? Both dh & I have bad backs, which is why I'd really have someone else do it.

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Look in the yellow pages for a landscaping contractor. If they don't do that work themselves, they will know people who do. My contractor busted up my old patio and subcontracted out the hauling. Yes, it will need to be hauled to the local dump and disposed of properly.

This is too heavy duty for DIY for most people.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Yes, it will need to be hauled to the local dump and disposed of properly. "

This is an incredibly local thing.

I lived in one county that had crushing equipment and would take homeowner (free) and commercial (pay) concrete.

The county next door wants nothing to do with concrete waste and will direct you to private disposal companies (who all charge).

• Fori
    12 years ago

Marti8a, if you haven't done it yet, check with swimming pool contractors. Where I live, disposal is a PITA so most demo types don't want to mess with it, but pool guys do it with just about every job and if the economy is bad, they're hungry.

(And then my parents out in the coastal boonies found someone to take THEIRS away for free to build a jetty. Not fair!)