Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

helping an architech help us...

Fori
10 years ago

We're meeting with our architect this week to go over what we want done with our remodel/addition as well as do measurements of the existing 1950s structure and lot. We'd like to be helpful and make the process as smooth as possible. Any suggestions?

At this point in the process we can't even say what rooms we want in the addition because we don't know what is possible or how the layout would work. Architects can handle that, right? They assume that's why they are there?

For example, my house has a kitchen. I do want a kitchen after the job, but maybe in the addition instead of its present location. Unless that doesn't work out in which case it's fine where it is.

As another example, I want to enlarge my attached garage which due to lot layout, would require new garage space behind (and not next to) original garage. I'm pretty sure I don't have room to do it any other way than tandem but ya know, I'm not an architect. But since everything is attached, it does affect what fits where (and if a laundry room needs to be included in the project).

Is it helpful to make a list of ideal room locations and have backups in case the preferred spot is no good? Looking at the home building forum, it seems as though some architects get testy when homeowners present them with floorplans, but I assume new construction is different that adding on to a home that already has a particular style and conditions.

Is it even worth doing any sort of addition if I can't get my 4 car garage? (oops--that question was for the spouse! :P)

Comments (3)