Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Synthetic vs. Cedar Shakes

Posted by westernwilson (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 12:28

Our 30 year old roof is in need of replacing...no leaks but the shakes are looking pretty tatty.

Our neighbour surprised us by re-roofing his place in standard asphalt shingles. I have to say, they look awful compared to the shake roof. I was surprised at the difference.

In our house, the roof is even more "present" as a design feature. I take it asphalt shingles are stunningly less expensive than cedar shakes or synthetic shakes?

Could someone give me an idea of how they all compare in terms of cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Synthetic vs. Cedar Shakes

I can't compare synthetic vs cedar shakes, but I just did my house with heavy cedar shakes. The nicer asphalt roofs (I think they called them "dimensional") would have ended up being close in price because we would have had to have plywood decking installed.

And then when you're done, you have fake shingles. :/

o

Asphalt shingles are the cheapest roofing you can get.

The roof will also become hotter as the shingles retain heat.

Synthetic shakes are more costly than asphalt shingle and can be relatively heavy depending on the material used.

Another alternative to cedar shakes could be metal shakes such as Metro Shake II. I just re-roofed from asphalt shingles to metal (Metro Shake II) and the difference in temperature is palpable.

o

In New England there are many more shingle choices including pressure treated and/or prestained white cedar shakes. I'm sure the same is available in the northwest probably with red cedar.

Here is a link that might be useful: pressure treated shingles and shakes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here