Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window jamb extensions

Posted by mike13 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 12:00

I'm in the process of finishing off an attic space. The gable walls are 3.5" thick (2X4 construction). To increase the insulation R-value I'm making a double wall which will result in a 7" wall thickness. There is an existing single double-hung window which I need to extend the jambs on.

Anyone with recommendations on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window jamb extensions

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I think all you need to do is to rip some 3/4 stock to the required width. You might try attaching to the existing jambs with finishing screws rather than with nails. Predilling for the screws will avoid splits. You don't need many screws because the casings will also hold the extension jambs in place. If you are using stool stock at the bottom you can do something similar. Shims may be helpful underneath. Worst case scenario is to shim and nail the extensions to the framing, but it's nice to avoid this. Another alternative is to drywall right to the existing jamb and corner-bead the corner (trimless look).

o

I had to do this in my basement and it was fairly easy. I just bought some clear pine and ripped it to the correct width and then cut some some slots on the vertical pieces for the horizontals to fit into.

Because my pieces were about 2" wide I chose to shim between the framing and the extensions so that they would be rigid. Then I used a 2" brad nailer to attach them.

Bill

o

or you can visit a lumber yard and buy jamb extensions from 1/4" to 2 1/2"

Michael

o

We have existing anderson casement windows for 2x4 wall, we are going to a 2x6 wall, our local lumber yard ordered us extension jambs for 2x6 wall from Andersen, we just took out the existing 2x4 jambs, and added the 2x6 jambs.

o

You'd be better off replacing the old window than doubling the wall thickness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here