Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roof overhang without posts. ideas on how to pull this off.

Posted by datrik (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 11:55

I need to add a 3-4ft overhang roof to my front door. I'm planning on a shed style roof and would like to omit any vertical support such as posts and angled braces that connect to the wall. Do you folks have any ideas on how to create a small rigid overhang that connects to a vertical wall. I'm looking for it to look traditional, as in facia and standard metal roofing. (not looking for an awning)

This link shows what I want, but imagine taking out all of the support below the single plane roof. http://weekndr.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/awning-w-1.jpg

I'm just wondering if there is a modern solution via metal brackets or clever construction techniques.

Thanks,
Daniel

Here is a link that might be useful: image

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roof overhang without posts. ideas on how to pull this off.

The structural load at the outermost edge of the cover must be transferred back to the wall. That can be done with cantilever beams that run back 12 to 15 ft into the house aligned with the attic joists or the roof rafters or with triangular side braces. The braces can be below the cover as in the photo or, if the cover is deep/steep enough, they can be part of the cover itself. The cover could also be high enough to be a part of the roof with rafters reaching up toward the ridge forming triangular side walls.

Otherwise, you need a skyhook.

o
RE: roof overhang without posts. ideas on how to pull this off.

Almost invisible support could be a tension rods or cables angled upward. A pair of them with stainless steel turnbuckles could look really cool.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here