Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

How long should I budget....start to finish?

navi_jen
10 years ago

Hi everyone....

I am planning a middle of the road remodel for my c. 1928 tiny (950 sq feet) farmhouse, including:

1. Upgraded electric
2. Replace old oil boiler with direct vent steam, boiler moved from center of house to side
3. Remove old chimney (to make kitchen renovation easier)
4. New water/waste plumbing (no moving/replacing of my original steam radiators and heat piping, which I love)
5. Gut renovation of 10x12 kitchen, including adding a few windows
6. Gut renovation of my single 7x8 bathroom
7. Refinish all the HWF in the house.

I have just started on the journey. Have sketched layout of the kitchen, interviewing architects (want to plan for a future 400 sq ft addition at the same time) and have 1 appliance (stove) picked out. That's it.

How long should I budget for the entire process to take? 8 months? A year? Two years?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

It depends on if you want to do the projects all together or if the funding only holds out for one project at a time. If you've got the whole 200K to start at once, then move out and let them at it. You'll be done in 6-8 months. If you have to little bit it to death while you are living there, then there is no time limit to how long all of that will take.

• navi_jen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly,

Thinking I would do it all at once. I know the reno will likely take 4 to 5 months...but I'm wondering how long it takes for all the decisions/design, etc..that's what I can't figure out. It will not be a super fancy showplace 50k kitchen renovation. I would like to use old architectural salvage cabinets, as much as the quality wood as the reuse as the cost savings (and/or at least non-upcharge)

Worst case is, I do the architectural renderings and boiler first, then wait on everything else.

I've got I am a bit worried that my 'underwear drawer' renovation will not bump up the house price enough to qualify for a construction loan. And I don't think I have enough equity to do a 2nd mortgage. I've got enough saved to do the boiler and electric now, but that doesn't seem to make much sense, since the kitchen and bath will need the new electric and I don't know exactly where the fixtures will go.

And the addition is definitely out of the question for now, since it's just me. Just want to make sure everything is sized and laid out appropriately that I can add on easily.

Fun, fun.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Don't know what part of the country you live in, but can you get by with electric heat and skip a boiler system?

If you aren't moving any exterior walls wait to do architecture plans until you get to the point you are serious about the addition. There are GC that do basic layout design work for interiors.

Per other recent post. Have an engineering inspection done before any plans are made to identify any structural problems that might need to be fixed. Houses like yours will likely have some issue that will make you rethink some of your plans.

• navi_jen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lo...

I am in the Northeast...so electric heat is not an option. I have thought about a GC, but I have seen horrendous results with GC additions, thought it best to have a full architectural plan to minimize any long term issues, since I think this is my 'little old lady house'. If not, it will also help future buyers understand what is possible on my lot.

Structural review already done. Need to have 1 additional lally column/support in the basement, but other than that, I am good to go!

Keep 'em coming!

• kai615
    10 years ago

I have no real estimate for you.. only a little advice from someone remodeling an old house. Whatever you think the estimate will be-- double it. You will likely find issues you didn't dream of ;-( especially in the northeast with the harsh winters and the fact you are preserving and not just haphazardly ripping things out and throwing in modern.

Ahhh, back to my own electric run on the outside of my house, crooked walls, sloped floors, and not a right angle to be found anywhere on the property ;-) Good luck!

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

We're doing a full renovation on a house about the same size, with the same scope as you minus the boiler/chimney stuff (have furnace and central air). We're gutting kitchen and bath, refinishing hardwood floors, and replacing all plumbing and electrical.

We're not spending anywhere near 200K!! Our budget is $10K and we're DIY-ing it on evenings and weekends (though it's just me here evenings, and we're only here about half the weekends). We expect to be move-in ready with all but the kitchen done about 4 months after purchase (mid July). Kitchen will probably be a couple months more, because I'm building/repurposing the cabinets myself. If we were buying the cabinets, we could get the thing done over a long holiday weekend.

If you have pros going to town, it should be much faster than our chipping away at it. Heck, you're not moving walls and you've only got 5 rooms! If you've got full-time, dedicated contractors working, you can redo a bath in a week, a kitchen in a week, the hardwood floors in a few days (unless like me you're steaming layers of adhesive off them). If you add the plumbing and electrical work, double the time for each room. Don't know about the boiler/radiator stuff.

I would probably space the stuff out, doing one major project at a time so that your already small house still has some refuge space somewhere.