Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asanee_gw

How to cleanup asbestos dust all over the condo

asanee
9 years ago

Recently I bought a condo (built in 1973) which has popcorn ceilings. We are remodeling it before moving in.

Because other buildings in the same location built in1977 never have popcorn ceiling, so we think that our popcorn ceilings may contain asbestos.

The problem is that our contractor already removed popcorn ceilings without caution. He did not care whether popcorn ceilings contains asbestos or not.

Now, these asbestos dust are all over our condo after the contractor removed them from ceilings. They are hanging in walls, windows, window shutters. They are all over the floors. (We will install wood floors later.) They are on a sofa, a dining table, kitchen appliances, counter tops, and cabinets.

We are planning to cleanup them before doing wall painting and floor installation.

How can we cleanup these asbestos dust? I heard that it is not good idea to use vacuum.

Thank you

Comments (11)

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

Before you freak out, find out if it is asbestos. Get it tested.

• User
    9 years ago

Wear masks in the space until you find out if it really is asbestos---the dust is the most dangerous way to breathe in the fibers.

Damp mop/rags and many pails of water.

And, if the results show asbestos, turn in the contractor---for his workers health reasons.

• asanee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your quick answers. I took a sample and submitted it to the lab. I will get the result by next Monday.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"We are remodeling it before moving in."

If so, then why this" "They are on a sofa, a dining table"

"The problem is that our contractor already removed popcorn ceilings without caution. He did not care whether popcorn ceilings contains asbestos or not."

Sounds like some "jackleg laborer" was hired and somebody learned about the potential for asbestos, after the fact.

You see, anyone in the business of removing and replacing ceiling textures, would have, as a standard practice, and ease of disposal, bagged each room and dampened the material prior to removal.

Hire someone who knows what they are doing!

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

And a reputable contractor would have determined if there was asbestos prior to removal. Did you ask your contractor? What did he say?

I dint know much about ceilings, but the flooring contractors I've worked with can just look at old floor tile and be relatively certain if it contains asbestos or not. Just from working in the trade so long and knowing which old tiles contained it.

• User
    9 years ago

One of the dangers of DIYing things is that you don't know what you don't kow. You've put your family's health at risk, even if the test is negative. Costruction dust is a health hazard. Dust contaiments is essential to any remodelong job, but critical to texture removal. It wil take a LOT of work to cleanup this mess, no matter the results of the test.

Yes, it costs more, but hire an actual licensed and insured contractor next time. Or, spend a lot more time on the front end educating yourself about the job in question. Like months. Not just one internet search.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Is this guy licensed and insured? Did he pull a building permit? Maybe it's regional, but where I live, every demolition requires an asbestos assessment.

• asanee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, he is licensed. He got building permissions of kitchen and bath remodeling. We also asked the city and they told us that cosmetic changes of floors, ceilings, and walls do not need permissions.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

If this cavalier attitude is the way he conducts himself, insist that he hires a professional cleaning service before he get paid and that he isolates each work area and covers all furniture.

• HU-963579125
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

hello,

having a similar problem & I am wondering how you resolved this. Seems most abatement companies ive spoken with focus on direct mayerials vs dust cleanup. Thanks so much!