Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gag2014

Deck sag - How would you fix this issue?

GAG2014
9 years ago

Greetings all,

I've got a small balcony deck that is gradually pulling away from the house. It has a number of other issues related to poor construction: No joist hangers, some joists not correct lumber, two piece rim joist.

The deck is approx 5' x 15' and as you can tell from the photos, supported by two angled posts and built around the chimney.

This this deck is above another deck. Essentially its the top level above two others, so I really want to avoid using vertical posts on the corners as they would not be in contact w the ground. I would like to keep w the current support structure approach.

I'm looking to either safely fix or replace some / all components.

Any advice is appreciated!

GG

This post was edited by GAG2014 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 14:29

Comments (12)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

(Picking up jaw off of floor!) I hope you don't go out on that deck! It needs to be torn down immediately and rebuilt, with the proper permits and inspections. No way that passed inspection, so it probably wasn't permitted.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

My work list:
    1. Install 3 6x6 posts on the outside corners and outside center. Use Simpson post anchors on the bottom to keep them off the concrete, and post caps on the top to properly support the joists.
    2. Make sure the edge against the house is securely and properly lag screwed/bolted to the second floor's rim joist.
    3. Add joist hangers on all joists.

And don't let anyone step on it until you're done.

• GAG2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that this deck is above another deck. Essentially its the top level above two others, so I really want to avoid using vertical posts on the corners as they would not be in contact w the ground. I would like to keep w the current support structure approach.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

If you want that deck cantilevered like that, you would have to extend the joists into the house, and tie them to the upper level floor joists.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

You need to hire a structural engineer. You have an epic disaster in the making.

• GAG2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"epic disaster" seems to be the recurring theme from other chatrooms as well. Sigh. Thought that ^%$##! home inspector was a good one.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

GAG2014:

Without an up close and personal inspection, I'm not ready to say that deck couldn't be salvaged cost effectively.

I'd check to see the flashing details where the band joist is attached to the house and the fastening schedule there.

I'm fairly sure a 4" sphere would easily pass through your "guardrail", plus the horizontal nature makes a perfect ladder for climbing for small children.

I'd take an expert framer over a structural engineer any day. You need a professional carpenter, not a nerd.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

How are the lower decks supported? Sorry I missed that in your original post. Do they have the same diagonal bracing or do they have columns? If they're hanging similarly precariously, then the bottom one should have columns added, then the middle one and top one should have columns in the same place, that transfer the load down.

Or is this a condo arrangement, where you only own the top balcony?

• homebound
    9 years ago

"....I'm not ready to say it couldn't be salvaged cost effectively"...uh, ok.

More to the point, it's pulling away and that should indicate that it could fail at any moment. A disaster waiting to happen. Stay off it and get it looked at ASAP.

• GAG2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm getting this taken care of ASAP. Most likely to have it removed completely

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

homebound:

You do realize how completely out of context your quote becomes by eliminating the very important qualifier in the beginning?

• renovator8
    9 years ago

It seems like a simple repair but it should be directed by a structural engineer. If the ledger board is pulling away it probably means it was not originally through-bolted to the house structure. Jacking the deck up and adding the bolts should not be difficult but it's not a DIY project. ALL of the wood connections should have metal connectors added as specified by the engineer.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm