Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finallyhome_gw

What to do 1st

finallyhome
10 years ago

I recently moved into a small home (approximately 1,500 sq ft). The home is not my perfect home, but it had 2 of my must haves: location (within a couple of miles of everything) and large open living area. Also, couldn't stand apartment living.

I am still looking for the "perfect" lot to build (location + $$$) but it might never happen. So, I'm giving myself a budget to make this one "almost" without going too much over what I could recoup if I sold and paying as I go.

So, here's what needs doing:

1) Exterior: This is a 1980's Fox & Jacobs, cookie cutter home with a modern (for the time) exterior with painted brick. I am going to hire an architect/designer to give me ideas on how to make it modern. Think new front door, glass garage door, new modern house numbers, etc.

2) Kitchen: While functional, extremely dated. Appliances, except for new fridge, are original to home.

3) Built-in Bookcases (thanks for your previous opinions) and fireplace. The new furnishing can be over an extended period of time.

I have enough for the bookcases, fireplace and exterior now. Not enough for the kitchen.

How would you proceed:

1) Save more for the kitchen.
2) Do the exterior/fireplace/bookcases.

If I did #2 (no funny comments) now, I would at least feel like I was accomplishing something.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

How long will it take you to save up money for the kitchen if you do the #2 stuff now? How long if you hold off on #2 and save for the kitchen first?

• User
    10 years ago

Kitchen makeover/updating is the single most productive thing that can be done to a functional home.

You get more value for the dollars spent, more usefulness from the updates, and the biggest change. That process also adds the most interruption in living in the house.

The other areas you mentioned can be done individually and with less interruption---meaning each individual area can be done with less impact.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Do the appliances work? I had an 80s house with original appliances (huge Microwave/range combo thing that was 6 feet tall...) We bought a new range and OTR MW/hood because the MW didn't work and 2 burners didn't either. We kept the fridge for a while and did other updates. Eventually found a fridge on CL that I liked and was new (but "used" because it was installed), etc.

If you just bought the house, you will live there for a while regardless. Do what is most productive and makes your mind feel best about living there first. New house numbers? Easy.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

If all you need is new appliances, you can add those one at a time, as you research and decide what you want, and wait for them to go on sale.

Live with the kitchen for a while, to see what works for you and what doesn't. You might find it doesn't need much; you might desire a complete remodel. You simply can't know until you use it for a while.

You also need to live there a while to get a better understanding of how you feel about the house. If the exterior bothers you every time you come home, that should be your priority.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Our new home was also 80's. I'd be sure to get all the wiring and plumbing checked. Times have changed and so have appliances and technology. What worked in the 80's doesn't support the new smart appliances of today.

We are slowly finding this out. Internet kept fading and after Vorizon techs Cable dude AND DSL dude kept blaming each other, finally they came out together and replaced some wires, and fixed a cable problem also. Today the DirecTV dudes come out and I'm sure the problem is with the wiring.... Sigh.

The plumber had to replace a lot of pipes that were corroded and not able to connect to the new DW and sinks.

I was horrified at the condition of the tile in the master, but the budget just didn't allow for replacements. There were so many hard water deposits, the tile just had awful gray stains on it. I got myself a few pumice stones, and with each shower, we tackle a few tiles, and that shower is starting to sparkle!! What I hated before, I now love!

Paint is one of the cheapest fixes, so that might be a start for you.

You didn't say if you love to cook or if the kitchen is sort of fine if the microwave works. Me? KITCHEN! Also, it does add value to your home when it's updated. BUT, it depends how long you intend to live there. It will need updating again in a few years, so consider that when spending the money.

We intend to live here till they cart us off in 30 years or so, and the money we spend is strictly for our own enjoyment and pleasure.

Good luck with your remodel!
    Suzi