Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Estimate for new front door

Posted by akinnaird (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 8:52

New to the forum. Hope you can help me out.

We are planning to replace our 70-year-old front door. We got an estimate for a Provia fiberglass door with small glass windows across the top, basic hardware, and a basic aluminum storm door. Including installation the estimate was $5200. This seems high to me. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Estimate for new front door

It does not seem high to me.

o

I just got a quote for a high quality, insulated, fiberglass door and the cost without hardware was $660, and another $600 for the installation. Now this was a slab door without glass, but it was also a non-standard, oversize door (84" tall). An aluminum storm door would have added less than $200, and quality new locks about $150. So that's a total of less than $1600...installed. You're describing a somewhat fancier door with a couple of windows, but that shouldn't add another $3600 to the price! Provia is a quality door, but it's still just a door, and they are wildly over-priced in my opinion. I think you should get more quotes from other reliable door companies.

o

I just had Provia steel double french doors with grilles and basic hardware installed in the back of the house, $4900 (included enlarging the opening).

Fiberglass is more expensive.,

Provia is top of the line but you get what you pay for.

The only way to see if your price is fair is to get another Provia estimate, apples to apples for the same product. Your estimates will probably be within a few hundred dollars of each other.

o

Unfortunately kudzu $650 is in no way shape or form going to purchase a "high quality" exterior door of any type.

o

millworkman-
All I can tell you is that is the quote I got from what I consider to be the best door specialty store in Seattle. I know it would cost me more to have a door with windows and simulated molding and panels, but not thousands more. My point was that $5200 is awful high for a door. Reality is somewhere between that high quote and the one I got for a basic (but quality) insulated fiberglass door.

o

Not high at all. Especially for the door under consideration.

o

Depending on the market value of your house, $5200 might actually be on the low side. Based on how much you're willing to spend, it might too high, just right, or too low. Only you can gauge if the door matches the value of your property and your willingness to write the check.

For us, personally, we'd never pay $5200 for a front door because it would just be totally out of whack for this home in this neighborhood. Maybe $2500 - $3000 (with labor), but it would need to be an exceptional door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here