Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s012adh

Cost to build garage with master bedroom suite above it

s012adh
9 years ago

I'm looking at a 10 acre wooded property near Dayton, OH. It's a for sale by owner and the owners have it priced very reasonable. Currently there is a 1486 sq foot brick ranch house with a full basement underneath. Attached to the one side of a house is a car port that has direct access to the basement via a man door and single car garage door. The car port looks like it's an adhoc job as it has i-beams criss-crossing each other and a poured concrete patio above it. The concrete floor of the carport is all cracked up. If I bought this property, what I would like to do is tear out the car port and patio that is above it and put up a garage with a room above it. The way the land slopes, the garage would be at the basement level and the room above it would be at the main level and just an extension to the house. The house is 26' wide so I'm thinking of making the garage/room extension that wide and maybe 22' or 24' long. Above the garage I would want to put in a master bedroom suite that consisted of the master bedroom, a walk-in closet, and a bath with a walk-in shower and whirlpool/soaking tub. It would have average materials in; nothing really high end. Where there is currently a single car garage door, I'd like to wall that back up so the only entrance to the basement through the garage is via the man door. Since I don't own the property, it would be hard to get people to give an estimate. Does anyone have a ballpark idea what something like this would cost? A friend of mine is concerned that with all of the rehabs I want to do to this place, it may be cheaper to build new or look at other properties. In addition to doing the garage/room extension to the house, I was planning to rehab some of the main house to include converting part of a smaller bedroom to a laundry room and then extending the living room to take up the rest of the space of the smaller bedroom. The walls being moved/changed are non-supporting. Then I plan to update the flooring, cabinets/counters, windows, and doors in all of the house.

Comments (9)

• handymac
    9 years ago

There is no way to give an meaningful estimate, mother than to find out what the local average for price per square foot is for the work you want done---add on/remodel versus new construction.

If there is no plumbing, the cost should be lower. But, costs/fees for surveying, soil compaction(for foundation) and permits/etc. have to be considered.

Sounds as if the plan would increase the value of the house to some extent. My personal belief is if a person wishes to spend decades in a home, has the money to spend without putting their finances upside down, and simply wants the home to be theirs and comfortable, who cares about resale value

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Looks like approximately 150K for an average mid range project. 50K for the garage and 100K for the master suite above it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost Vs. Value, Dayton

• s012adh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, that's a pretty big chunk of change to sink into a place. For 150k, one could almost build something new (as long as it wasn't anything too custom).

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

It's usually cheaper to buy than to build.

We were considering a similar project - add a second bay to the garage, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths above. Estimated cost of $250k. (Boston MetroWest) Increase in value estimated at $75k. So we are looking to move instead.

• s012adh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The price of things definitely have changed a lot since 2002. Back then I had a house in which I added a 26x26 garage with a room (made it into a game room) above and the total cost of that was just under $30k.

The extra room above this house I looked at isn't necessarily needed but I couldn't come up with a good way in my mind for things to look right given the current slope around the house. It currently supports being able to drive into a basement level garage. It would take quite a bit of dirt to put the garage at the same level as the house.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

s012adh:

I think you should go backwards.

Pick the number that works for you. Make some quick sketches, write down the wish list and the number, and take them to some local reputable general contractors.

If they bust out laughing, you'll have your answer. On the other hand, they may have an example of a similar job they did for a similar number.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I don't understand why you can't arrange to bring a contractor to the house to get an estimate of the work to be done? It is not uncommon when buying a house that you plan to renovate.

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

When putting a living space above a garage/carport you will need to make sure that there is proper fire protection, insulation, and ventilation due to carbon monoxide and exhaust fumes.