Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

load-bearing header: 2x10 vs 2x12

weedyacres
15 years ago

We're replacing a 7-foot segment of a load-bearing wall with a doorway header. All the window and door headers on this floor are double 2x12s, bringing the wall down to door height, but this will be a doorway. Is it okay to use 2x10s to provide more headroom/clearance?

Also, isn't the general rule to transfer the load via triple 2x4s from the header to the floor? I want to maximize side clearance as well, so can I use header hangers and a single 2x4? One end of the header will also be supporting the end of a flush laminate beam, so needs to transfer that load as well.

Thanks for your help. I've been reading everything I can on how to do this stuff, but want a verification.

BTW, the plan was to install the flush lam beam over the whole 21' span, but the guy at the truss fabricator read the prints wrong, and when we got the beam home we found out it is only 18' long. I told DH he should make them redo it since they made the error, but he wants to make it work, using the lam beam for 13' of the span and the header for the rest.

Comments (2)