Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
load-bearing header: 2x10 vs 2x12

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 7:57

We're replacing a 7-foot segment of a load-bearing wall with a doorway header. All the window and door headers on this floor are double 2x12s, bringing the wall down to door height, but this will be a doorway. Is it okay to use 2x10s to provide more headroom/clearance?

Also, isn't the general rule to transfer the load via triple 2x4s from the header to the floor? I want to maximize side clearance as well, so can I use header hangers and a single 2x4? One end of the header will also be supporting the end of a flush laminate beam, so needs to transfer that load as well.

Thanks for your help. I've been reading everything I can on how to do this stuff, but want a verification.

BTW, the plan was to install the flush lam beam over the whole 21' span, but the guy at the truss fabricator read the prints wrong, and when we got the beam home we found out it is only 18' long. I told DH he should make them redo it since they made the error, but he wants to make it work, using the lam beam for 13' of the span and the header for the rest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: load-bearing header: 2x10 vs 2x12

The building code will have the acceptable headers and sizes.

The header load includes all the loads above the opening, second floors, roofs (with snow loads), the dead weight of the walls above, etc.

Builders rarely use a larger than required header.

While a single 2x4 can sustain a very large load, they are a long and thin column and are subject to buckling failure.

The code also specifies how many cripple studs are required to support the header, and again it is based on the load present.

Your AHJ might be able to provide some guidance, but not all are helpful.

o
RE: load-bearing header: 2x10 vs 2x12

you need to check codes in your area first. However building beyond what codes recommend will not hurt.

I would never use a single cripple to support that much. Double cripple at least but a triple would be even better.

If the truss company made a mistake then you should have them make it right. There was a reason for that to be a laminated beam the full length.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here