Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

cut window through brick

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
12 years ago

Our house looks ok with the new vinyl siding, and will look better with new windows.

One of our favorite rooms is the recreation room. It used to be a 2 car garage, and has two windows that are at the side front of the house and easily seen from the street. We cannot keep this room cool enough to suit my husband, so we have a window air conditioner.

The wall on the other side of the window is brick, and is located in a fenced in area of the house that is not visible from the street.

When we purchase new windows, the cost may run around 6-7 thousand dollars. Could anyone tell me what the additional cost would be to knock out a portion of the brick on the other side for the air conditioner? (The total work would be done by a pro.)

Thanks,

Sammy

Comments (8)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Do you want to install a thru-the-wall air conditioner? It's essentially similar to a window air conditioner but instead of a window a metal sleeve is placed in the wall, in which the air conditioner sits.

Another option is what's called split or ductless air conditioner. Although they're typically more expensive than a thru-the-wall model, the cost of installing the sleeve may eat up most of the difference. They also tend to be more efficient and you don't have a big hole in your wall that allows heat or cold into the room. You can also buy models that heat as well as cool, if that room isn't warm enough in the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ductless A/C

• worthy
    12 years ago

You can get a 10,000 BTU window unit for $200-$300 plus $100-$200 for installation vs. $1,500+ for a comparable mini-split.

Just the thought of that droning window unit puts me to sleep.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, thank you for the video.
    My real question is how much would it cost to drill through the brick to put in new windows? The video shows that the connection still goes through the brick.

I don't like the look of the window unit in the front of the house. To move it to the other side in our fenced in yard would require putting in new windows. I wondered how much it would be to drill the holes through the brick for the windows.

Thanks,
    Sammy

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

Installing windows is more than cutting through the brick, there's framing considerations as well. As for price, you're best bet is to get some estimates from contractors.

That's one of the reasons I suggested a split system, it would be a lot easier (and cheaper) to install that windows. Not to mention more efficient and aesthetically pleasing. Of course, if you want windows...

Split systems typically require a 3" hole for the line set and electrical. Drilling a 3" hole in brick isn't especially difficult and should be well within the skill set of the typical HVAC contractor.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

If you install a sleeved unit under a window you can usually reduce te structural work required.

The window already provides the header to transfer the loads around the window opening, meaning that the loads under a window are not very large (mostly just the window itself).

Sleeves do not have to be metal, many are just wood.

May window units can be sleeved.

• sherwoodva
    12 years ago

Make sure the contractor knows what they are doing. We've seen some shoddy jobs where they knocked out the bricks that were cut in half and didn't bother to replace them.

We have the "split" AC on the second floor and love it.

• jahjah
    10 years ago

Can no one give her a rough estimate for a standard size window? With a wood frame.

I also have this very question.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

$9312 give or take.

All pricing is local, and dependent on local conditions of the home in question.

Pricing has probably done nothing but go up in the two years since the post was originated.