Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cw3424_gw

Strange loft space in bedroom

cw3424
10 years ago

We have just purchased a house and have a dilemma of what to do with a wasted space. The previous owners wanted a vaulted ceiling in their bedroom so they went up into the attic, and ended up with this. Access is via a ladder on the side. There are bookshelves up there and one swings out to give access to the attic (secret passage!!). Unfortunately the space is only 5' in height so you can't stand up straight. What on earth can we do with this space? Any ideas are VERY welcome!!!!

Comments (10)

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Evidently they used it for a "library". If you want to get rid of it, I would open it up in the back so it is open to the attic and have someone put drywall up so it looks like a plain wall. With it's secret door into the attic, does that mean it is the only entrance to the attic? Now, that IS strange.

• cw3424
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sending a few more photos in so that it's easier to see the situation. Unfortunately the only access to the attic is from up there behind the 1st bookcase.

• cw3424
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another photo

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

How very strange. how deep is it?

I might not use the ladder on the side and instead make them be "high" reach in closet type space accessed by a rolling library ladder. I think that'd be neat.

It is a neat space, except for the fact that they have those shutters. I'd feel very insecure up there knowing if I fell against the shutter, I'd fall through. If it were a wall, I'd feel better about crawling up there and getting something off a shelf. But as is, I think, I'd close the ladder end, and work from the front.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh!

That's cool! Ridiculous but fun!

No, I have no idea what you'd do with it. If it were a (older) kid's room, it'd be a no-brainer, but what would adults do with that?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Take down the shutters and shelves, and display large artwork? Perfect if you happen to have said large artwork, looking for a home where few will see it...

Antique bicycles? Doll carriages? Spinning wheels? Mannequins?

Please let us know if you come up with something!

• cw3424
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Funny you mentioned mannequins! We'd thought about that but decided it would be too creepy! The rolling library ladder is a very cool idea, but our bed has to go on that wall. We'd thought about putting in an antique iron spiral staircase and then replace the shutters with a contemporary iron railing, but then we'd still have the useless space. It would be fun to put a really great piece of art up there. I wonder if suspending about 4 contemporary framed black and white photographs from the ceiling might "block" the view to the back shelves and then we could use the space for storage? Hmmm. Pinterest, here I come...

• Fori
    10 years ago

If you're in earthquake country, well, you know. No heavy vases over the bed. :)

Try the home decorating forum! They could use a challenge.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

How very strange indeed! I'd feel very nervous up there too...

The thought off the top of my head would be to close the shutters, think of them as adding "texture" to the room.

• homebound
    10 years ago

I installed something like that for a client in a townhome. It was an open recess/shelf, and they thought it was just going to waste. (Drywall was already there, and insulated behind.) I installed a face frame with cabinet doors.

Before you open the wall, ask yourself if you really want more attic access there. Probably not. But an access door is good to have, just in case (repairs, inspection, etc.)