Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Patching an Old Acoustic Ceiling - Help

Pines Everywhere
10 years ago

Hi remodelers:

Does anyone have advice on how to patch this hole?

This style of tile is glued on and not available for purchase any longer. I can fake the final surface with joint compound and some texturing so I am not worried about that.

What I don't know how to do is fill the depth and somehow attach a new surface. This hole was for speaker that attached to the outer ceiling surface with really long screws -- that appeared to go thru the tile and then into the drywall. I want to "fill' the hole somehow flush so I can skim it and fake a new surface.

Thanks for any help

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Cut a board a little narrower than the diameter of the hole, and about 3" longer. Put a sheetrock screw into it a bit so you can have something to hold onto for later steps.

Next, drill holes at either side of the existing hole you want to patch; make these screw holes big enough in diameter to take a couple of long screws.

Then, place the board up through the hole and center it. Drive a pair of screws through the holes you just made, and into the board so it is tightly secured.

Now you have a backing that you can attach other materials to (plywood, sheetrock) to bring the surface of the big hole flush with the rest of the ceiling.

Apply your finish and paint.

Alternatively, get a blank plate that you can screw to the ceiling and paint, and don't bother with all the patching and messing around.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kudzu9 -- Thanks so much. I understand most of what your wrote but your first sentencing is throwing me ....

"Cut a board a little narrower than the diameter of the hole, and about 3" longer. "

Basically, I understand your advice to be creating a diameter slightly smaller than my current opening and angle-screwing it into the surround of the opening that is already there ... and ensuring the new surface is just slightly inset to the plane of the original ceiling. Do I have that right?

It is kinda making sense to me. All I need is 1/8 inch or so to slap some joint compound up there and texture it.

Let me know if I am getting your direction. Tx.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Ok...

Lets say that the hole you have is 4 inches in diameter. Cut a board or a piece of plywood that's 3-1/2 inches wide and about 7 inches long. The 3-1/2 inch width allows you to slip it up into the space above the ceiling; when you position it you have about 1-1/2 inches of the board straddling the hole on either side. You have already drilled holes for the screws on either side of the big hole. Hold on to the screw I said you should put in the center of your board, and then use a cordless drill to drive screws into the board through the predrilled holes. The pre-drilled holes will be slightly bigger in diameter than the screws you are using. They need to slide smoothly into place until they hit the board that you are screwing them into.

It's clear to me -- since I've done this many times -- but I can understand how my original explanation might not be crystal clear to you. Hope this helps. But, if it is still confusing, tell me and I'll take another crack at it.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I totally got it now. My execution may not be as precise as yours but I know what I need to do. Thanks for your patience with me. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

As long as nobody has to walk on this 'patch' ... it will look great! It is on a ceiling for Lordy sakes but I want it to be right! LOL.

Thank you!