Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnerrunner

Help Needed installing sliding door

Lake
10 years ago

A couple weeks ago my husband and I replaced a sliding patio door. We had never done anything like this before but we finally got it done and I thought we had done a good job. However, it is now clear that one side of the door frame is bowed inward. So the width of the frame is smaller in the center than at either the top or bottom. The difference is less than a half inch. How do we fix this? And why do we have this problem? Did we do something wrong to cause the bowing? Or is it more likely the door was in this condition when we bought it (at Home Depot)? Even if it was defective to begin with, we don't want to have to remove it and return it after spending such a long time installing it, unless there is no alternative. Is it possible for us to use a jack and a 2x4 to push the frame into the correct position? If we do that and then screw it to the stud again will it hold? Or might the door pull the stud inward as well? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Pictures may help but it sure sounds like it is not shimmed properly. A half inch out is terrible not "only". To operate and shed water and the rest of the weather it must be installed plumb, level and square. What brand? what side is out? Is the rest of the door square and level?