Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I have made a terrible mistake

Posted by MyGardenWeb (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 1:06

My kitchen remodel began a month ago. The interior is still gutted, but wiring routes have begun and the framing is in place and the exterior siding has been put on as well as 2 new windows. The mistake I made is that I JUST REALIZED that I reduced my view to the beautiful backyard. I called for 2 windows and my view is less than what it used to be. I want a third window put in and now I think it's too late and the contractor will freak out on me and that this will cost me a ton of money to make the change now. Please advise ASAP i am feeling so nauseous right now...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I have made a terrible mistake

Do you want the third window badly enough to have a freaked out contractor and spend the money? If so, I'd tell him (or her) sooner rather than later. At least find out if it's too late... good luck.

o

It's only time and money... Their time and your money. You aren't the first home owner to realize a plan isn't working as you wanted it to. Go ahead and ask what it would cost to add the 3rd window. The worst case is that the window will be a special order item that takes a couple months, and it costs a few thousand extra to do the work.

o

The contractor works for you, so you really don't need to worry about his opinion.

Of course, he's going to charge you for the change. It will be extra work , materials, time etc. The faster you let him know, the easier it is going to be.

o

Tell the contractor you want three windows. He works for you and if he freaks out over this...it's going to be a LONG remodel. You need to establish right now...who is in charge...and who is willing to pay more to fix this.

o

the GC is going to be happy, he makes more money, and he is relieved of liability of getting the project done on time. I love changes. We just hate it when you are later moaning about the job taking forever, when it was HO who made the delays. Dont be scared, just let him know.

o

Thank you everybody!

o

Op: what did you decide to do? Did you talk to your GC?

o

I decided cost is too high to do it now. window needs to be connected closely to the two outside ones meaning more wall removed to redo all 3 properly. picture window special order and expensive... but I realize that i can see my living room bay window behind me, so i get extra view if i turn around! so i will be ok. I appreciate all feedback thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here