Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3bebe

Critique master bath addition layout

3bebe
11 years ago

We are gutting and remodeling a 50's ranch and are adding on a master bedroom and bathroom and laundry room. We are a family of 5 and this house was originally my husband's grandparents and then his parents. The folks over on the kitchen forum helped me improve the layout of my kitchen and I would love some help with the master bathroom.

I can live with it the way it is, but if anyone has any better suggestions I am all ears. The main thing I noticed missing was no linen closet and the door opens onto the shower door and my husband is really against pocket doors. Please offer any ideas or suggestions and if there is a better forum to post for help please let me know.

know!

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

It is really a shame that your closet is taking up the back corner. What is back there? Something you wouldn't want to see? If it were me, and that was your backyard, I'd see about moving the closet to the front of the room and the bedroom proper back so you could have windows on 2 sides... Plus, the closet would act as your "sound insulation" on that wall. Just me, and I know that isn't what you asked.

It would be helpful to see a little more of what is going on around this area, to see how it might be re-arranged to work better. For example, it appears you may have 2 hallways with a powder room stuck between them. Was it designed this way, or is the powder room existing space and you don't want to move it for Cost Savings?

• 3bebe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think if you click on the pics it will bring you to my photobucket and there is a photo of the whole plan if you can see it. Behind the house is a tiny yard and another building, which houses a boarding kennel "pet hotel". While not unattractive, I definitely need as much sound barrier with the closet and not a view!

The powder room is existing so that is why it is there. Please see if you can view the plans and let me know if you have anymore questions. We definitely have to worry about cost savings too! Thanks for taking a look, I really appreciate it. We think we have chosen our GC and are finalizing plans now!

I'll put a link to the little drawings of the whole house plan. The kitchen no longer has a peninsula and the range is now where the fridge was!

before:

• suero
    11 years ago

Is there any reason the master bath doesn't extend as far out as the bedroom? If the master bath were extended and the bathroom entry moved closer to the sinks, there would be no conflict between the shower door and the bathroom door.

• 3bebe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is a walkway behind the house to another building, but it could possibly be extended flush. Does everyone think the layout of the bathroom is using the space well? I really wish we could fit a linen closet in the bathroom since this is total new construction, but I guess I will just have to be happy with a cabinet over the commode or something. Thanks, again!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Here is what I don't like...
    You have 2 hallways and that takes up valuable space.
    Also, what is planned for "behind" the double vanities in the laundry room? That seems like wasted space.

If it were me, even trying to keep costs in check, I'd blow through the 2 existing hall closets "under" what is that powder/hall bath that I spoke of at the first...

Then, I'd rearrange my storage space. Get a much larger "NEW CLOSET" (as labeled) (esp if that is a pantry--it could be walk in).

You would be able to replace all that storage space "lost" by popping through them AND GAIN the space on the extra hallway. It just becomes a more efficient design.

You have lost any linen space for your master bathroom because you have a 5 piece master bath. You could, potentially recover some of that wasted laundry room space, but that really depends on what that area is planned for. If you have no plan there, well then, we can work on that. :)

• 3bebe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, let me see if I can explain and hope I understand what you are asking.
    The new closet is going to be a media closet and small pantry, the flat screen will hang on the wall in front of the media closet.

I'm not sure I understand how we would gain space on going through the old closets. The closets on the bottom under the 2 I think you want to blow through house the A/C and the other houses the hot water heater.

The area in the new laundry room will also be use to store things like purchases from warehouse clubs and such. Not shown in the little drawing, the area under the double sinks in the laundry, will be where a second hot water heater will be stored. My architect says having 2 hot water heater instead of one larger one is more efficient.

Yes, I would like to have a 5 piece bath! Thanks, again for your comments. Here is a link to the whole plan if you can read it!

• 3bebe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Kirkhall! I just figured out what you meant buy making the hallway through closet 1 and closet 2! We could maybe have a whole new room/study/closet for my 3 teens, especially if we can move the hot water heater to the attic and do something with the return air! That is awesome and something I never would have seen on my own!

Thank you so much!!! Talking to the our general contractor, I think we are going to also make the master bath flush with the back wall of the addition.

Emily

• 3bebe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and please excuse all of my typos and misspellings such as "buy"! I was just so excited once the light bulb went off! LOL It was "duh" moment!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

:) You are welcome.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

3 more things--

I don't think I'd choose to do a U kitchen in your space. The reason? Safety of having the cooktop on the peninsula.

If it were me, I'd remove the peninsula. Put the fridge at the location where the planned peninsula hits the wall. And, put your cooktop on the wall where the fridge is planned in your design. I would probably also enlarge the island. (And, I'd ask the kitchen forum for their thoughts as well).

Is the garage in the lower left (under new office?)
    If so, I think it awkward to enter the office, have to close the door, then enter the house (essentially, it is a weird door issue there.) If that isn't the garage, then you can ignore this comment.

Finally, with the change of the closet/hallways as suggested above, maybe you can change the location of your media closet so that you aren't walking into a tiny little front door entrance (and into a wall). That space seems really cramped.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

There's a bathroom forum you can post this in as well.

What about moving the washer and dryer over to the RH wall? That gives you more space in front of them without door interference. Then move the water heater to where the washer is shown, and replace the dryer with a linen closet. You could even make it with doors opening into both the laundry room and the master bath.