Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Help Needed: Turn Our Granary (granary) into a Guest Cabin

enduring
9 years ago

Hi all, I usually frequent the Bathroom and Laundry forums over this last year, as I've been involved with remodeling those areas of the house. I have posted several years ago here, when I was working on the total gut remodel of the first bathroom.

I hardly know where to start with this thread. I want to turn my granary (grainery) into a cabin. What are the main issues that need to be considered when taking an outbuilding and upgrading it into a rustic living space?

I want to relocate the structure. It has stood for years in this location and the door faces north. The new location would be near some trees and will be set to face east so the short dimension is on the slope. This location is nearest to the main house for convenience. I would prefer to face it to the north but on the site I've selected I don't think it would work as well. The view would be of a small cattle lot, LOL.

I want to enlarge the door and also put a window on each wall. On the side with the door I would like to put several windows in a row up under the eave. There would be no plumbing. There may be power, depending on site location.

I have done nothing yet to this building. I have been thinking of this project for a few years now. I may never actually get this done, but would like to understand the feasibility of it.

My initial thoughts:
1) concerns about how the roof structure is attached and how it should be attached to withstand winds.
2) there is a lot of daylight coming in through the walls. should I re-side the building? But then some of the character goes away.
3) I will need to provide good air circulation for summer use. I hope the addition of windows on all sides helps with this.
4) What to do if I want to make it usable in colder weather?

It is 10x16 and on skids. It has a shed roof. It has 2x6 studs, 24" oc.

It has an old T&G flooring over joist that are supported on the skids, there are 4 total skids. I don't know what the joist spacing is.

This is showing the joists rowed up. One of the skids is running perpendicular on the right:

The siding is vertical T&G on the outside of the studs. There is an extensive network of cross bracing within the building at this point, but will be removed after moving to provide living space.

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, May 31, 14 at 8:46

Comments (14)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not an ecoomically or code compliant feasable project. The cost to move the existing structure would likely approach the material costs to create a whole new structure with a proper foundation in the location that you want it. And at least new structure would have a hope of being framed to incoporporate insulation and all of the things you want to add to this structure. Without access to a bath though, this outbuilding could at it's most optimistically be termed a ''playhouse'', not a guest cabin.

• enduring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Hollysprings. We can drag the granary because it's on skids. DH is a farmer and has mega equipment. He says yes it can be moved. All the bracing would stay intact until the building was sited and leveled. Its on a working farm and DH says that as long as buildings are on skids no permits are needed.

Yeah, playhouse might be more what I'm after. I will really consider your comments though. It may be cheaper to build from scratch. Except if we did that, we'd probably just take this building apart and use the materials :) These old buildings we have are very old, and this one is probably made with very good lumber. It held (edited) one thousand bushes of shelled corn when DH used it as a kid. This building is built to withstand internal forces and a lot of weight. An old square corn crib we took down and salvaged was over 100 years old and that wood was remarkable.

As it is, the building is just sitting there. We just keep it painted. We have grown children that have moved out and starting families. Summertime can be a bit congested with visitors and something like this would help with sleeping space as well as hangout space. I am looking for a safe structure. Want to be sure the the roof is fastened well, and how to redo the roof with ply, straps, and roofing material. I could put a sheathing of some sort around the exterior base to cover up the funky wood and put flashing on the top rail, or something, to shed water. This would be like an exterior wainscot I guess. The look and function will definitely be rustic.

Alternative sleeping can be pitching tents in the cedar grove, but I think this would be doable and enjoyable.

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, May 31, 14 at 13:33

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I think it would be great fun for the kids and teenagers to sleep in. No technical help but I'm sure it can be done if you don't need to add plumbing.

• enduring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Debrak2008, my thoughts too! Although the teens are now in their twenties LOL. They spent their fair share camping in the windbreak (potential site location) during high school. I think there was a party or two as well :-/

My oldest son has a family and will be visiting during the summers over the years to come. Grandson is currently 4, but I can see him and parents having fun in there too.

I posted a similar thread on the Smaller Homes forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to smaller homes forum thread on topic

• renovator8
    9 years ago

It's kind of pointless to tie the roof to the structure if the structure is not tied to the ground but I would suggest CDX plywood roof sheathing and hurricane ties, an Ice & Water Shield (no substitute) membrane & asphalt shingles.

I see little charm in the original exterior walls so I suggest covering them with Typar (no substitute) homewrap and 18" unfinished red cedar shingles with no corner boards.

Asking someone to sleep in a space that requires a walk in the dark to use a bathroom is unreasonable. I took that walk when I visited my grandparents' farm and I didn't like it. You should provide a path and lights. I suspect an outhouse is no longer allowed.

If you want insulation you might consider rigid styrofoam sheathing under the shingles so the interior can be original.

• enduring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Renovator8 for the comments on the roof. Your point about tying the roof to a structure that is not tied to the ground is noted, it made me laugh. Good point. The roof information is what I am looking for. The sheathing around the outside is something I might do as well. I am thinking of phasing this project with the refining of the exterior to take place in the future. The exterior of this building is pretty common around here. All our old buildings look like this. The cedar would be lovely, but out of context if the building is sited near the house. If I locate the building further away in the windbreak, the cedar would look wonderful.

I live in Central Iowa out in the country on a working farm. Its been in the family for nearly 100 years. Our small farm down the road is a Century Farm.

Regarding the walk to the house to use the bathroom. This space would primarily be used for young guest. We have several spare bedrooms in the house that can be used for overnighters that may not be so adventuresome. I visualize this cabin being used by teens and young adults. I also see me using it as a day retreat. One location site I have in mind would be 80 feet away from the back door. DH is recommending an even closer site. But only if he removes an old oat bin that is in the way.

Lots to consider. This project just might be more about me and my desire to do something with the building. I have really liked remodeling my house and would love to do something along this line now.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Late at night boys/men will just pee outside whether there is a lighted path to the house or not.

DH walked by and I told him what I just typed. He didn't answer but 18yo DD jumped in and agreed with me. BTW DD and her friends love sleeping out in backyards in tents. This would be a like a permanent tent. My 18 and 20 yo would love something like this.

I love the way the inside looks with the metal roof and the wood. The only thing I would need to sleep in there on a summer night is some large windows with screens and someone to do a sweep for spiders.

I think this would be a great project just for fun. It won't cost to much and be fun to plan.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 10:23

• enduring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Debrak2008, thanks for the feedback :) Your DD has it right! I think it would be great fun.

My original ideas were to fix the roof to something more stable. The steel roof up there is pretty fragile so it will need upgrading. The other thoughts I had were to put in french doors on the tall side, a window on each end, and a window or 2 on the back side. I also thought I'd like clerestory windows (spelled celestry windows sometimes) on the tall side above the door. This may be too expensive. It depends on what I can find. I want regular double hung for the sides and the back. The french doors will probably need to be a regular door due to expense. Unless I get sliding patio doors, and that would be very practical for limited space. I might be able to find a set of those on Craigslist. I want screens on all the windows (and doors if sliding patio). The clerestory windows I am not sure about. I would think it would be good to have these vent, so hot air can escape. They would be too high for convenience unless a ladder was inside to assist. Until a few years ago, there was old hen house on the property with these kinds of windows. I'll have to ask my DMIL how and if they opened. Her enterprise on the farm was selling eggs. I am sure she worked that hen house.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

You have to put something over the exiting sheathing if only to cover the nailing fins of the new windows and doors. I see little reason to match the other buildings but if you think that is necessary, what is the cladding on the house?

• enduring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Renovator8 I was wondering about the window inserts. I get what you mean. Our house is lap siding. But the barn has steel vertical imitation board and batten, so that could work for a sheathing. I like board and batten. We could use steel or real boards. Would exterior type plywood, primed and painted work, with nailed strips, for a look of board and batten pattern?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Looking at the damage that the structure has, and the list of changes that you want to make to it, plus the fact that it needs to be moved, I vote you replicate it's from scratch properly with the functionality designed into from the beginning, placed on whatever site works best for your needs. It will end up being a much easier project, and costing you less money and effort.

• enduring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LWO, thanks, the moving of the structure will be done by us with a tractor. DH says it can be done. But your point is well taken, about the trouble to redo and the cost involved. I might be better off just building from scratch.

The damage seen in the one picture, at the bottom of the boards, is below the floor level by about a foot. The inside is intact.

I'll see what DH thinks again about the trouble and cost. This may be a project for next year anyway. We (he and DS2) built a horse shed on skids using old lumber and it is great. This granary has lumber in, what looks like, very good condition.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Exterior panel siding (rough sawn plywood or fiber-cement) with battens will require painting and horizontal metal Z flashing at the horizontal panel joints which sort of screems, "fake board & batten".

If you want the inside to be unfinished and original you could apply horizontal strapping on the exterior and put styrofoam insulation between them and then apply real vertical boards and battens. The only organic material that will survive for long unfinished without maintenance is rough sawn cedar boards which are expensive. Softwood plywood will need to be painted repeatedly.

Nothing will look better or last longer than shingles finished or unfinished.

• enduring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Certainly many good points and things to consider. I will update project thoughts in a few weeks. On vacation now.