Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfoe

New addition thoughts

JohnFoe
9 years ago

Attached is the plans for a new addition I'm thinking of doing. Basically adding 24 feet to make it wider, goal being a master suite and make a larger living room.

The addition would be 24*40

going to post and try to put the "current" layout to compare this to.

Comments (12)

• JohnFoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

outside view of addition, the garage is really attached, but the roof is lower than the house so I could only make the program do this by not connecting them

• JohnFoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

current layout, no sizes, but it is 24 by 40 currently with a basement

• JohnFoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

then lastly this is the external view of what it currently looks like, it should have a garage, but didn't put it in this image

• User
    9 years ago

Doubt it meets setback rules. It's also very obviously ''an addition''. Get a local architect to plan you something more aesthetically pleasing, more functional, and compliant with local rules.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The size and scope of this project don't justify the fees of an architect, unless he's working very inexpensively. Your design looks fine to me and would to a potential buyer. I would check the setbacks though. Good point.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I think the new layout is generally good. I think I've figured out the functions of the rooms, even without labels.

The master closet/bath area may be the exception, in particular the tub/closet area, which looks a bit funky. If you could post a closer-up view of the master suite, that would help.

Also, I would make the roof peak on the addition the same height as the roof on the original portion, not higher as you've got it drawn. And consider just making it a simple gable instead of a hip roof. That will make the front of the house look more expansive, IMO.

• JohnFoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. The property setback isn't a problem the image makes it look like it is on the edge. From what I read city laws here: "(c) setback lines. All front setbacks shall be no less than thirty (30) feet from street right-of-way. Rear setback shall be no less than ten (10) feet from the rear property line."

In this one there is about 60 feet in the front before doing anything which is where the addition would be. I would likely have to get an official survey, but as long as my property markers haven't moved It should be fine to use 24"

I do agree that the roof is a bit funky. I'm not sure how to fix that, but wanted a general outdoor appearance.

Attached is a closer view of just the add on addition. The master bath I'm thinking of a separate walk in shower and tub. It looks strange in the image since they don't really connect, but those would be the general idea of location of both of those items.

There is also a room there with no doors, not sure if it should be an additional closet in the master bedroom or for the living room. It is kind of an odd size as well since it is deep, but not really deep enough to split in two and be a closet for both sides.

As far as the roof I do think it should be the same height, I'm not sure how to do that in the program I'm using. For the actual design I would want it to match the current roof height. As far as the gable, I think it would look better, but was concerned with it being a 40" length and such a low pitch of roof. However if I did that I would likely go with larger windows on that end which might look better as well.

I appreciate all the input.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Can you label all the rooms on the plan? With this addition you end up with what I think is a bedroom in the middle of the house with no windows. Which would not be legal where I live.

I'd almost want to put the hallway to the bedrooms thru the little box from the living room. But now knowing what all the other rooms are - closets? Pantries? Is the long skinny thing an old hall? Or stairs?

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

What size bed will go in the master? Where will it go? If it's a king, it might or might not squeeze onto the wall at the left, but you probably won't have room for nightstands. The only other possible place is between the windows -- will it fit? Where will the other furniture go?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You aren't thinking about your roof right (or I'm not reading current and new right). Your roof will cover 2x the depth of the old roof (what used to be 24, will now be 48). Either, the roof slope has to change, or the roof height (or both). Your roof will not be the same as current...

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Oh, I thought that little 4x4 square was the closet to the bedroom below it. Though pixie makes a good point that without a window it's probably not a legal bedroom. Perhaps an office?

Alternatively, if that room doesn't need a closet (because it's the new laundry room or something), you could shift the whole master bathroom down into that area, with the 4x4 space becoming the new toilet closet, etc. Then shift the tub over to the left and voila you've got a much larger master closet.

The bathroom window would need to shift over, and you might want double doors going into the bathroom.

What's the roof pitch on your current house?

• JohnFoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The roof would be a problem I'm not certain with how the roof would work out and I would have someone more experienced do that part if I could get a floor plan. Basically did the outdoor view so I could see the covered front porch which is something I do want.

The room in the middle with no windows wouldn't be a legal bedroom. It would need to be an office or potentially something else. Personally I would want an office to have a window, but unless I convert this to be the bathroom/closet then I'm not sure it would be possible. I do like the suggestion to move the bathroom lower as a larger master closet would be desired.

Would be great to somehow make it a legal 4 bedroom 2.5 bath home from the 3 bedroom 1.5 bath it is now.

I'll try some of these out to see what it would look like.