Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
septic systems in rural communities

Posted by fallingwaters (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 22:33

i live in a rural area in a 3bdrm home. the existing septic system is over forty years old and will fail one of these days, so i have already had an engineer design a new one (in a new spot) which has been permitted by the state and town.
i'd like to also replace my old system after the new system is in place so i will have two brand new septic systems for a total of 6 bdrm capacity.

once i have two new septic systems i'd like to build an addition which would have a 3bdrm apt in it--essentially i'd have a duplex of sorts in the long run.

i'm wondering how best to approach the town about this.

the home directly north of me has several apts in two buildings, (possibly not legal) as does the site two doors south, which has three mobile homes sharing a legal ten bdrm capacity septic.
any tips on how to help get this approved?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: septic systems in rural communities

Everything will depend on your local zoning ordinances for your property and the separate septic system regulations that your health department has.

Here, what you are proposing would never be allowed on any normal "homeowner" or "estate" sized lot. You would have to have quite a lot of acreage, and would be required to split it into separate lots, even if you retained ownership of all. A single "normal" sized property would have to be zoned for multi family dwellings to even consider it. And the health department would not allow two active septic systems on one property, even if they were serving one larger single building raather than multi family structures. A new septic system would have to be designed for the larger home, not adding a different system to serve the additional bedrooms.

There will be a lot of very specific hoops to go through for what you want to occur legally. It might get pretty ugly if your neighbors have done their remodeling without municipal or health department approval. Bringing that to the authority's attention as a rationale for them approving your project would likely backfire. You've got your work cut out for you, and the first step is to stop at your local codes office.

o
RE: septic systems in rural communities

Also, just because you have one now doesn't mean they'll let you just put one back. Perc test standards have changed over the years - they may not even have done one on your original. Have you had one done?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here