Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sheetrock....1963 home

Posted by pete_p_ny (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 20:30

I thought my house was all 1/2 sheetrock. I was doing some remodeling and removed some ceiling fixtures and replaced with recessed cans. I need to patch the old ceiling boxes. I squared out the holes and attempted to patch with 1/2 sheetrock, but it seems the 1/2 sheetrock "sticks out." I patched holes in the walls, and the 1/2 worked fine. Was there a dimension less than 1/2. It is not 3/8" sheetrock either. I cut back the sheetrock to the joist and then put in a wood nailer (was going to nail to the joist and nailer to put in the patch).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sheetrock....1963 home

1963 most place I know were wtill plastering walls.

o

In some markets a thinner than 1/2" base gypsum board had either a one coat of two coat plaster finish. Today USG calls it a Veneer Plaster System but contractors often call it "blueboard".

o

No plaster finish...just plain old sheetrock. There must have been another dimension of 1/2" back then was not really 1/2" (like a 2X4 not really measuring 2X4).

o

Our home is about 1966 and all the walls were done in 3/8". To get this flush, you will have to use 3/8" with enough shimming in back to make it level. A problem with this is that 3/8" is too flimsy for ceilings, but if your piece is small you should be OK. If the repair piece is big, try to insert backing plywood strips that span the repair piece and existing ceiling. (See link below). This will stiffen the repair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drywall Repair

o

Thanks drywall guy...regarding the link....is it better to tape the joints? The steps just used compound.

o

For small holes you don't have to tape. For bigger holes or holes that are on the edge of a sheet you should tape. And you can always tape if you want - it might make it easier to cover the cracks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here