Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

I need addition help please

msjay2u
9 years ago

I posted this on the small house forum but I think everyone is just as baffled as I am so now I am taking a stab here. I read some of the questions and answers and I feel you might be able to help me!!

Okay so here is the background:

My house is a small log cabin which was later added on to to equal about 980 sq ft. The wlls are unable to come down and the floorplan is very inefficient. I been on a two year remodel project but I still don't have room for all my stuff. Well actually I did but now my dad moved in so now I no longer have room again and I feel like I am back to square one.
I was going to sell and buy a new house but after seeing the prices of whats out there I would rather renovate and stay than to move and probably wind up renovating that place. sooooo long story short I decided to keep love it not list it.
here is the sketch to scale

Currently:
room 1= unheated sun room and front entrance (never used)
room 2= my bedroom (originally the living room thus the fireplace in the front)
room 3= my dad's room with two closets side by side taking up the whole back wall and full of mostly my stuff
room 4= my livingroom with two storage closets
room 5= the kitchen
room 6 the mudroom/laundry room back door here
room 7 the only bathroom

The problems:
-I want a bathroom and walk in closet
-I want a place for my grandkids to sleep when they come over (they now sleep in my bed and I sleep on the couch)
- I want some privacy
- I would like to have a dining room
-I would like a small enclosed porch (I have too many mosquitoes to sit outside)

My proposal

room 1- my dad would like that as his bedroom but it needs to be insulated and the door needs to be closed off
room 2- make that the livingroom
room 3- kids room/sewing room.... left closet for dad... right closet for all my fabrics and craft supplies (YES!!)
room 4- would like to take out the two windows between the storage closets and make that the front entrance

and make this room the dining area with a full wall of shelves for my books (this is an old photo but you see the area best here)

also in this room I would like a built in corner cabinet to hold extra dishes see sketch for placement

room 5- still the kitchen
room 6- still the laundry area would like to close it off and make it an exclusive laundry room
room 7 still the bathroom

I am thinking the area where the deck is move it over a bit and make that the area where you come in and incooperate a sitting room/ enclosed porch and somehow include the entranceway, something a little bit wider than this

close off the laundry room, make the sunroom connect to�my bathroom, bedroom and walk-in closet. ...like my own wing

I really don't want all the available space to be added on, just showing the max...�I really can't afford all that. my bathroom can be 5x9 with no tub just a walk in full size shower, toilet, & sink

I don't know what size a normal walk in closet should be but I found a 8x10 closet that is big enough to have a few drawers for sweaters, about 30 pairs of shoes, and enough room for 2 people to hang a full wardrobe of shirts and pants Is that too big?

Bedroom, would like room for queen size bed, a chair, a 2x6 cabinet that has a fireplace in it,

Stipulations:
-because the walls are logs no walls in rooms 1-4 can be knocked down and between 5 and 6 the stairwell must remain
-the parking area has to remain untouched

Area A is my "wing and can come all the way to the house
soooo
looking at sketch 2:
in the space marked available I would like to have my entrance which is also a sun room or place to sit and look outside (see photo above), and my bedroom suite which would consist of a walk in closet, bathroom and bedroom. I would also like my part of the house to be able to be closed off by a door so I can lock it and the kids can't get into it when I am not home.
Just because it is marked available does not mean I have to use the whole area. I marked off the maximum dimensions but I need to make this renovation as cheap as possible.

What i would like considered:

lots of light.
price
most bang out of a modest amount of space

question:
What is the most efficient siding method?
where do I move my patio/barbecue area to? The checkered area in the aerial is the current "patio" and the same place that I allocated for the addition

How do I get the plans drawn up?
What are some lessons you learned?
What is the most efficient way to do this?
How much do you think is the least I would spend on this renovation?

To me this does not look like a lot but I don't know maybe it is more than I think

I want a lot of space on a little bit of money.. you know....the American dream LOL

HELP???

Comments (2)

• elizabetheva
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you opposed to building up?

I'm not really experienced in this area, I'm still learning, but it seems like in the plan you have, many of your ideas are contingent on the next, so it seems like it would become a very large project. Also, the sunroom, which I completely understand is never used, is so pretty, you obviously did a lot of work on it, and it would be a shame to close it up. I wonder if the simplest solution would be to add one bedroom and storage upstairs? If you plan ahead now as you're building it, you or a future owner could add a bath down the road. You could make it your master, or you could make it the grandkids/sewing/storage. Or even do two small rooms, if your dad can manage stairs okay, and have your bonus and his bedroom there, or both of your bedrooms there.

It seems to me like right now you are mostly reconfiguring, which can be really effective, but it sounds to me like you are looking for more square footage, so if that's true I think you'll need to go up or out.

The other option, probably the least expensive but maybe only meeting some of your needs, is to think creatively about storage and invest in really efficient furniture or built-ins. There was an older home in my town that was originally built without closets in the bedrooms, only in the master, and without any pantry or coat closet, so the first time it went on the market a couple of years ago apparently it didn't sell for a long time. The recent owners that just listed it recently built in ikea type cabinetry down the entire hall, and in one of the bedrooms they built in a student desk, bookshelves, and tall wardrobe cabinets on one wall. It looked fantastic.

When all of the kids and grandkids are at my parents house there isn't room for the grandkids to have beds, so the parents get them and the grandkids each have their own special Nana's house sleeping bag. They take them all up to the loft and spread them out and stay up too late and they love it. i think that's pretty normal, and I would suggest there are many ways to give the grandkids a place to sleep without sacrificing your bed, even before you finalize your renovation, and i would say it's probably more appropriate for the young, healthy grandkids to be sleeping on the couch :) My kids have been growing up with sleeping bags so it's fun for them, but if you think it would feel like a punishment to them to end up on the floor, you could go for a pullout sofa bed, or seriously, even air mattresses.

Good luck!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Really your grandkids should be sleeping on the couch not you! Kids will sleep anywhere! That is why they love sleep overs. On the floor, on the couch, sleeper bed, etc.

Investigate the possibility of going up. Foundations cost money.

Evaluate all your stuff and your Dad's. I have no idea how much stuff you have but just saying it might be a good time to really look at everything and eliminate except what you really need and really love.

Susan Susanka has great books about how to design a functional small house. How to have multi purpose rooms, etc. I attached a link to her website.

I would suggest hiring an architect who is experienced with logs homes/making good use of space, etc. Might be hard to find.

Here is a link that might be useful: susan susanka