Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
subcontractor as remodeler

Posted by richardtb (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 19:31

I am doing a major apartment remodel, 300-400k.
The architect has already done the architecture plans.
Originally, I was going to hire an engineer to draw the mechanicals, and then use those to get the city permits and pick a contractor.
Our architect has however suggested that we hire three subcontractors (HVAC, plumbing and electrical) to draw the mechanical plans. Each company has an engineer, so they will be able to put an engineer seal on the plans. What do you think of this option?

PS: note there was a typo on the title of my thread. It should have said "subcontractor as mechanical engineer"

This post was edited by richardtb on Sat, May 18, 13 at 19:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: subcontractor as remodeler

If I were doing a remodel that expensive, I would want ONE company with the three disciplines do the drawings AND the work.

Matter of working together---the HVAC guys need specific room, the plumbing often has to work around the HVAC, and the electrical has to avoid both.

If the designers work for the same boss---and the workers work for the same boss as the designers---the one boss makes sure all the above do the best job.

o
RE: subcontractor as remodeler

Thank you handymac. However that is not an option. I should have mentioned that the apartment is in a high rise and that everyone has told us that we should stick to companies that have already done work in the high rise. So, we haven't heard of a company that does that with experience in our building. Hopefully, the contractor will make sure that all the subcontractors work together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here