Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Wainscoting and Caulking

Pines Everywhere
10 years ago

I am posting this in the Woodworking, Paint and Remodeling forums. The picture below is a close-up of Wainscoting that I am attempting to âÂÂclean-upâ and âÂÂpaintâÂÂ. The section shown has been primed. Someone suggested that I caulk the gaps.

But I recently read on a âÂÂCaulkingâ site that you should NOT caulk Wainscoting panels as they will shift almost up to 1/8â depending on climate, settling, etc. This shifting (or poor initial craftsmanship) has left inconsistent gaps that are really unsightly under my bright painting lights. I donâÂÂt know if the panels have shifted ALL that they will shift (30 yo home) â¦. Or â¦. If they shift seasonally based on temp and humidity.

Anyway, should I:

#1 - Not worry about the gaps because IâÂÂm the only one noticing them under bright lights and/or because continuous shifting will occur with these panels
#2 - Caulk ALL of the outer gaps regardless of how WIDE and how DEEP they are
#3 - Caulk just the gaps that are really DEEP and that show a crevice where no primer/paint can adhere

I was prepared to do #3 but my concern is that the caulking will âÂÂshore-up the DEPTH of the gapâ considerably leaving the other gaps with the intended depth and shadow. My thinking is â¦. I should caulk ALL of the outer gaps to make the depth/shadow very shallow and consistent ⦠or ⦠just leave them alone as designed or as shifted.

More facts:
- The WORST gaps are 1/8â Wide and almost 1/2â Deep showing a crack/shadow that wonâÂÂt fill with primer
- Some gaps are 1/8â Wide with a 1/4" Depth and are spottily holding the primer/paint in the groove
- About half of the gaps are PERFECT at a 1/16â width and 1/16â depth which hold the primer/paint in the groove splendidly.

What a mess. I hope this makes sense. Did I mention I hate caulking? LOL.

Comments (6)